A Peek Inside (Part 9)
Hello readers,
I hope you had a lovely weekend, and are staying safe out there. Part 9 of the Peek Inside series, and today I thought we'd look at what it takes to pack for a road trip. What goes into the bag, how many bags do I bring, what do I pack, what gives?
What I bring, and how much I bring will depend on the length of the trip, and occasionally will depend on the time of the year. There isn't a lot of variation between fall and spring, but there is some. So let's focus on spring because that's more fun. Here we go.
Where are we going?
What I pack will depend on where we're headed. The location will determine things from footwear, and how many to bring, jeans or shorts, nice clothing or straight up team gear, rain gear, etc. A regatta location determines all of that because you want to make sure you roll in ready to go. Think it's always going to be sunny especially in late spring in California? Think again my friend. Pac-12s 2019 will set you straight with severe headwind, gusts, and slashing rain. If you packed light, you were sad, cold, and wet. Here are some locations where you need to be fully prepared for anything.
- Lake Las Vegas: It was lovely this year. It rained last year. And desert mud is thick, heavy, and dries to a fine powder. It's also the desert and despite what you may think, it does get chilly.
- Lake Natoma: Most years, it's sunny, warm, and without any adverse weather. Natoma is one of the best racing courses in the country, falling behind...maybe Oak Ridge. If you said Sarasota/Cooper River/Mercer Lake/The Schuylkill River , I'm going to ask you to leave the room. However, I have been to Lake Natoma when the weather gods decided to put on a show. Thankfully, Natoma's shoreline drains easily, so it's rare that you're going to be slogging through the mud. But it still get sloppy in places, and gooseshit is everywhere.
- Dexter Reservoir: Wet, cold, muddy, extra sloppy, extra slippery.
- Vancouver Lake: See Dexter, and then add unpredictable winds. I was there in 2011 when the Columbia River flooded and raised the level of the lake an extra 14 feet. That was hilarious.
- Mercer Lake: Very cool place in 2018, until the weather canceled IRAs. Apparently Mercer and Cooper River can be like this I have yet to understand why IRAs insist on going places, namely Mercer, where weather is a known factor.
What are we doing there?
Most regattas are quick and easy. In, out, and we're gone. Some regattas though have an extra day or two tacked onto them, and some require longer travel, flights, or will have us going out for a dinner or to a family's house. When those things happen, you usually want to break out some nicer gear. I've yet to be in a program where we take a day to go sightseeing, but I suppose it could happen one day. Again, team gear on those types of outings are a must.
How long?
We'll get into this more as I start to "pack my duffle" but this is a good thing to consider.
Ok, so with those things out of the way, let's pack the bag. I'm going to skip some of the obvious (toiletries, boxers, socks). I'm also going to pack as though I am at my current program. This list would shift significantly at other programs I've been at.
Clothing
Short trip (2 to 4 days)
Because I'm usually driving the trailer, a short trip down to California takes roughly four days. We will usually leave the night before the team leaves. A trip to Redwood Shores would see the trailer take off Thursday, and push to the border, and then up early and into San Francisco by noon. This also usually means leaving nicer clothing at home - I don't like to pack nice clothing into a duffel if I can avoid it - but if it's a back-to-back regatta this will change. In 2019, we came down to Redwood shores on consecutive weekends, so I helped drive the trailer down, then flew back with the team, flew down to San Francisco, then drove the trailer back. Because of the travel, I brought nicer pants with me.
- Polo
- Shorts
- Travel pants (comfortable)
- Team rain jacket
- Team shirt (2)
- Team hat of choice (usually trucker style)
- Workout shorts
- Jeans or regatta pants
- Team vest
- Team shoes
Long trip (6+ days)
This is reserved for IRAs or a longer trip where we'd send our boats rather than renting. It's similar to the above list, but you tend to pack a bit more, and you start stretching out clothing. I can't wear boxers more than a single day, but socks, shirts, jeans, etc. can get more than a single use. This might seem like a lot to bring, but a round trip from the west coast to Mercer, and back is a 14 day hike. I will usually skip the team bag for this sort of trip and go with my North Face duffel. By the way, I can't recommend this bag enough. Water proof, heavy duty zippers, and with straps that turn it into a backpack for easy carrying.
- Polo (2)
- Shorts (2)
- Travel pants
- Rain jacket (Personal)
- Team rain jacket
- Team shirt (3)
- Team hat (usually trucker style)
- Long sleeve team shirt (2)
- Team hoody
- Workout shorts
- Jeans
- Regatta pants
- Team vest
- Team shoes
- Waterproof shoes
- Shirts (Personal - 2)
- Laundry soap pod (2)
- Bounce sheet (4)
As you can see, a longer trip will likely require one laundry stop. In 2018, I stayed up later one night in New Jersey to get my laundry done. Now, the obvious question: Aren't you over packing?
Yes, in a way I am. But, the last time I was at Mercer it rained nearly every day, and with two trips to the course, wet gear from the morning wasn't ready to go by the afternoon, so I'd usually make a change. My goal on the longer trips is to only do laundry once so I try and avoid it by packing a few extra pieces of clothing. Even with wearing something an extra day, I will still likely be close to being completely out of clothing by the end of the trip.
I bring some personal stuff on these longer trips. Most rain gear from the team is lightweight, and not ready for a steady downpour or repeated exposure so bringing your own wet gear is essential.
Extras
These are stuffed into the team backpack. Usually my electronics or anything else I might need or want while on the road. This loadout doesn't change much regardless of the length of trip. And thanks to this recent pickup on Amazon, loading up is a cinch. Carrying the laptop is interesting because the times I carry it, I rarely use it for work, and yet without fail, the times I don't have it on me, I end up needing it. It's simply easier to work from than trying to do everything from the phone.
- Wireless earbuds
- Cell phone charger
- FitBit charger
- Laptop & charger
- Coaching journal
- Notebook
- Flash drive
- Pen (2)
So these are my loadouts for a regatta road trip. As I said, this is how I pack for the current program. Other programs would have me packing a bit differently with the biggest changes being that those programs rarely had regattas that went longer than 48-hours (you don't need much for those).
Anyhow, stay safe out there!
I hope you had a lovely weekend, and are staying safe out there. Part 9 of the Peek Inside series, and today I thought we'd look at what it takes to pack for a road trip. What goes into the bag, how many bags do I bring, what do I pack, what gives?
What I bring, and how much I bring will depend on the length of the trip, and occasionally will depend on the time of the year. There isn't a lot of variation between fall and spring, but there is some. So let's focus on spring because that's more fun. Here we go.
Where are we going?
What I pack will depend on where we're headed. The location will determine things from footwear, and how many to bring, jeans or shorts, nice clothing or straight up team gear, rain gear, etc. A regatta location determines all of that because you want to make sure you roll in ready to go. Think it's always going to be sunny especially in late spring in California? Think again my friend. Pac-12s 2019 will set you straight with severe headwind, gusts, and slashing rain. If you packed light, you were sad, cold, and wet. Here are some locations where you need to be fully prepared for anything.
- Lake Las Vegas: It was lovely this year. It rained last year. And desert mud is thick, heavy, and dries to a fine powder. It's also the desert and despite what you may think, it does get chilly.
- Lake Natoma: Most years, it's sunny, warm, and without any adverse weather. Natoma is one of the best racing courses in the country, falling behind...maybe Oak Ridge. If you said Sarasota/Cooper River/Mercer Lake/The Schuylkill River , I'm going to ask you to leave the room. However, I have been to Lake Natoma when the weather gods decided to put on a show. Thankfully, Natoma's shoreline drains easily, so it's rare that you're going to be slogging through the mud. But it still get sloppy in places, and gooseshit is everywhere.
- Dexter Reservoir: Wet, cold, muddy, extra sloppy, extra slippery.
- Vancouver Lake: See Dexter, and then add unpredictable winds. I was there in 2011 when the Columbia River flooded and raised the level of the lake an extra 14 feet. That was hilarious.
- Mercer Lake: Very cool place in 2018, until the weather canceled IRAs. Apparently Mercer and Cooper River can be like this I have yet to understand why IRAs insist on going places, namely Mercer, where weather is a known factor.
What are we doing there?
Most regattas are quick and easy. In, out, and we're gone. Some regattas though have an extra day or two tacked onto them, and some require longer travel, flights, or will have us going out for a dinner or to a family's house. When those things happen, you usually want to break out some nicer gear. I've yet to be in a program where we take a day to go sightseeing, but I suppose it could happen one day. Again, team gear on those types of outings are a must.
How long?
We'll get into this more as I start to "pack my duffle" but this is a good thing to consider.
Ok, so with those things out of the way, let's pack the bag. I'm going to skip some of the obvious (toiletries, boxers, socks). I'm also going to pack as though I am at my current program. This list would shift significantly at other programs I've been at.
Clothing
Short trip (2 to 4 days)
Because I'm usually driving the trailer, a short trip down to California takes roughly four days. We will usually leave the night before the team leaves. A trip to Redwood Shores would see the trailer take off Thursday, and push to the border, and then up early and into San Francisco by noon. This also usually means leaving nicer clothing at home - I don't like to pack nice clothing into a duffel if I can avoid it - but if it's a back-to-back regatta this will change. In 2019, we came down to Redwood shores on consecutive weekends, so I helped drive the trailer down, then flew back with the team, flew down to San Francisco, then drove the trailer back. Because of the travel, I brought nicer pants with me.
- Polo
- Shorts
- Travel pants (comfortable)
- Team rain jacket
- Team shirt (2)
- Team hat of choice (usually trucker style)
- Workout shorts
- Jeans or regatta pants
- Team vest
- Team shoes
Long trip (6+ days)
This is reserved for IRAs or a longer trip where we'd send our boats rather than renting. It's similar to the above list, but you tend to pack a bit more, and you start stretching out clothing. I can't wear boxers more than a single day, but socks, shirts, jeans, etc. can get more than a single use. This might seem like a lot to bring, but a round trip from the west coast to Mercer, and back is a 14 day hike. I will usually skip the team bag for this sort of trip and go with my North Face duffel. By the way, I can't recommend this bag enough. Water proof, heavy duty zippers, and with straps that turn it into a backpack for easy carrying.
- Polo (2)
- Shorts (2)
- Travel pants
- Rain jacket (Personal)
- Team rain jacket
- Team shirt (3)
- Team hat (usually trucker style)
- Long sleeve team shirt (2)
- Team hoody
- Workout shorts
- Jeans
- Regatta pants
- Team vest
- Team shoes
- Waterproof shoes
- Shirts (Personal - 2)
- Laundry soap pod (2)
- Bounce sheet (4)
As you can see, a longer trip will likely require one laundry stop. In 2018, I stayed up later one night in New Jersey to get my laundry done. Now, the obvious question: Aren't you over packing?
Yes, in a way I am. But, the last time I was at Mercer it rained nearly every day, and with two trips to the course, wet gear from the morning wasn't ready to go by the afternoon, so I'd usually make a change. My goal on the longer trips is to only do laundry once so I try and avoid it by packing a few extra pieces of clothing. Even with wearing something an extra day, I will still likely be close to being completely out of clothing by the end of the trip.
I bring some personal stuff on these longer trips. Most rain gear from the team is lightweight, and not ready for a steady downpour or repeated exposure so bringing your own wet gear is essential.
Extras
These are stuffed into the team backpack. Usually my electronics or anything else I might need or want while on the road. This loadout doesn't change much regardless of the length of trip. And thanks to this recent pickup on Amazon, loading up is a cinch. Carrying the laptop is interesting because the times I carry it, I rarely use it for work, and yet without fail, the times I don't have it on me, I end up needing it. It's simply easier to work from than trying to do everything from the phone.
- Wireless earbuds
- Cell phone charger
- FitBit charger
- Laptop & charger
- Coaching journal
- Notebook
- Flash drive
- Pen (2)
So these are my loadouts for a regatta road trip. As I said, this is how I pack for the current program. Other programs would have me packing a bit differently with the biggest changes being that those programs rarely had regattas that went longer than 48-hours (you don't need much for those).
Anyhow, stay safe out there!


Comments