Hypo...hippo....hip....that oath
Should coaches be required to take a version of the Hippocratic Oath?
It's an interesting thought, knowing little about the actually Hippocratic Oath itself, other than there being a modern version written in 1964 by a professor from Tufts. Thank you Wikipedia.
Beyond that, I don't know if it's something binding or not, or how it's viewed in the medical profession.
I've read over the modern version - I think it's more relevant to our times - and I began wondering if coaches should do the same? As you scroll through the oath, you see there are several instances that could be brought into the coaching realm.
Now please don't misunderstand me. I am not implying that coaches are the same as doctors. But what I am saying is that the idea, the, "Do no harm," could be and perhaps should be brought into the coaching profession.
Again, I don't know how binding such an oath is, but what I would say is that it might do coaches some good to recall such an oath from time to time.
I've been witness to some interesting happenings throughout my short career, and I've seen some things done in the name of, "good," that weren't actually good at all - pushing athletes through injury is a big one.
Do no harm.
I'm sad to say that I've met athletes who've pushed through injuries, or been injured while training, and are now dealing with issues that will plague them for the rest of their lives. One athlete had to give up being an athlete entirely due to the injuries she sustained. That's an awful thought, that a coach would push someone to the point where the athlete is literally done being competitive for the rest of their life, and not just competitive in rowing, but competitive in any sport.
Again, do no harm.
And harm to me doesn't begin and end with the physical. Mental and emotion strain and stress are big contributors as well. I view sports as a way to build up mental toughness through controlled adversity, and learning how to overcome obstacles, and learning how to ask for help - that's a big one. But I've met coaches who believe that the more stress you can put on the athlete, the more miserable they can be, the tougher they become, and therefore the more resilient they are.
I don't agree, but I recognize the difference in coaching philosophies, and in athletic background.
Believe me when I say that much of my coaching habits, and philosophies are a direct result of how I was coached, and my own athletic experience. High school was good, college was not, and my approach reflects the lessons I learned.
So back to the Hippocratic Oath, and what it means. I'm not entirely sure. I'd say this is more of an idea of mine, something that helps remind coaches that while medals are symbols of victory, not all victories come with medals.
It's an interesting thought, knowing little about the actually Hippocratic Oath itself, other than there being a modern version written in 1964 by a professor from Tufts. Thank you Wikipedia.
Beyond that, I don't know if it's something binding or not, or how it's viewed in the medical profession.
I've read over the modern version - I think it's more relevant to our times - and I began wondering if coaches should do the same? As you scroll through the oath, you see there are several instances that could be brought into the coaching realm.
Now please don't misunderstand me. I am not implying that coaches are the same as doctors. But what I am saying is that the idea, the, "Do no harm," could be and perhaps should be brought into the coaching profession.
Again, I don't know how binding such an oath is, but what I would say is that it might do coaches some good to recall such an oath from time to time.
I've been witness to some interesting happenings throughout my short career, and I've seen some things done in the name of, "good," that weren't actually good at all - pushing athletes through injury is a big one.
Do no harm.
I'm sad to say that I've met athletes who've pushed through injuries, or been injured while training, and are now dealing with issues that will plague them for the rest of their lives. One athlete had to give up being an athlete entirely due to the injuries she sustained. That's an awful thought, that a coach would push someone to the point where the athlete is literally done being competitive for the rest of their life, and not just competitive in rowing, but competitive in any sport.
Again, do no harm.
And harm to me doesn't begin and end with the physical. Mental and emotion strain and stress are big contributors as well. I view sports as a way to build up mental toughness through controlled adversity, and learning how to overcome obstacles, and learning how to ask for help - that's a big one. But I've met coaches who believe that the more stress you can put on the athlete, the more miserable they can be, the tougher they become, and therefore the more resilient they are.
I don't agree, but I recognize the difference in coaching philosophies, and in athletic background.
Believe me when I say that much of my coaching habits, and philosophies are a direct result of how I was coached, and my own athletic experience. High school was good, college was not, and my approach reflects the lessons I learned.
So back to the Hippocratic Oath, and what it means. I'm not entirely sure. I'd say this is more of an idea of mine, something that helps remind coaches that while medals are symbols of victory, not all victories come with medals.

Comments