Where have you gone...

We're into that part of the season that I typically am not a fan of - winter.  I've never been a big fan of winter.  I enjoy the snow, I enjoy Christmas - mostly - but I grew up in Southern California.  When we wanted winter, the parents would pack us up into the back of the truck and head for the mountains.  And when we'd gotten our fill of sledding, trekking, cabins, etc. we'd head back to the valley, the sun, and warmth.

I am not a fan of winter.

That being said, this post is not about winter or my dislike of it because that post would stretch on.

I'm going to divert the blog slightly today and dive into something I don't normally discuss.  And by dive I mean dip the toes.  I have no desire for this blog to be anything other than my views on coaching or cover my coaching experiences.

I'm sure by this point we've seen the election results, and the resulting demonstrations and riots - depending on where you are I suppose - and the rest of the fall out.

I am not here to discuss Trump, or the type of president he will be, or to get involved in discussing politics in the traditional sense.

But politics must be addressed, and as a coach, and as a coach who wants to be involved in the collegiate scene, politics and political debate will be one of those things that I have to deal with.

I typically operate from the standpoint that everyone has their own views, and that we should respect each other, and that regardless of the side of the stream we find ourselves on, we should still be able to be friends once all is said and done.  Sometimes that is easier said than done, but regardless I believe it's the center point we need to come back to.

That being said, I know my political views - like that - are growing more and more outdated.  These days it seems like everyone has to pick a side.  Which brings me to the point of this post.

What to do about athletes?  How do you balance getting involved with distraction?  It's a difficult road to travel down.  I suppose it should be as easy as, "This is (insert sport) practice and here we're all on the same team."  I don't know if it's that easy.  Maybe it is?

I know that this election has been polarizing, and I know that it's difficult to insulate the team and practice from what's going on in the world.  I don't believe that political views should mix with practice, and yet it's difficult to keep them separate simply by the culture you build - open, honest, welcoming, inclusive, all political words.

I believe the best you can do is make the team areas a safe area.  A place where you preach patience, respect, and understanding.  It can be the calm in the middle of the storm so to speak, a place where athletes can get away, even for just a few hours at a time.

Comments

Popular Posts