A Peek Inside (Part 7)
Two posts in a day! That's got to be a record. Maybe. I'll check.
But after a heavier post, I thought I'd do something inspired by a video I saw on YouTube: Top-10 Items _____ Can't Live Without.
I thought I'd change it a bit and make it another Peek Inside video and list the Top-10 Things I Carry/Have Each Day, and maybe an explanation behind it. I'm going to challenge myself and try and skirt around the obvious, but in some cases that may not be possible.
Here we go.
10. iTunes on cell phone
I don't listen to the radio because commercials make me cranky, and all radio jockeys are terrible. I don't think I'd survive without my iTunes. Current playlist includes:
- Jordan Critz
- Michael Shynes
- Brad Paisley
- AC/DC
- Queen
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Kari Sigurosson
9. Favorite Yeti bottle
Filled either with coffee, or tea from Stash. And I'm like good old school French chefs when it comes to my coffee: I pride myself on making something delicious out of something a lot of people might skip in favor of a "better" brand. Current brands:
- Coffee: Folgers medium roast
- Tea: Stash Moroccan Mint, Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, Peppermint
8. Trucker hat
When I was a kid, I used to wear baseball hats nonstop. My favorites were an old White Sox hat, and a Dodgers hat (Grandfathers Stark and Truan loved the Dodgers). Then I didn't like how I looked in them, but since I began working out, I'm liking them more. Current hats:
- State of California hat from Branded Bills
- California Republic hat from Branded Bills
- OSU trucker hat
- Wise Ass by prAna (Personally, I prefer smart ass, but fine)
7. Aviator sunglasses
Costco brand. Prescription. I love them, and I've been knowing to make, "Top Gun" quotes in the launch, usually answering a raised hand with the famous, "Talk to me Goose." I don't know the brand, but I love them. It's, "Top Gun."
6. A protein bar
I like my protein bars the same way I like my cereal: I don't stick to a brand, I just go with whatever strikes my fancy at the time. But, I do have a true love: The delicious, gloriously crispy, crumbles upon opening, Nature Valley Oat n' Honey bar. Other brands will vary, but you can't beat the versatility of this bar. Great on it's own, or crumbled over yogurt or ice cream.
5. "Trendy" anchor, fish hook, and IRA bracelets
Not this particular brand. In fact I cannot recall where I got the bracelets from. Currently I am not wearing them because of the excessive amount of hand washing I do - they get wet, stay wet, and that's annoying. The IRA bracelet will change per year going off a tradition that was big at my alma mater. Each year, we'd get a WIRAs bracelet, and the idea was to wear that bracelet until you were at WIRAs again the following year before removing it. Most didn't make it due to general wear and tear. I don't think any of mine did. The same goes with the IRA bracelet. Currently the 2019 bracelet will have to pull double duty till 2021.
4. Powerbeats
I mentioned these a couple of posts ago, but I love them. The cable can get a little annoying at times if it binds up, but honestly, I've had these for several years now and they work great. I love the clarity in phone calls, and how they are snug without being a pain - literally - in the ear.
It's getting a bit more difficult now, and I'm trying to steer away from the obvious such as my notebook, or laptop. I tend not to carry a bunch of items with me. This way if I go into the drink I don't have to stress that much about what I may or may not be losing. My wallet and keys are always in my truck - I love having keypadded doors - and my cell phone is backed up just in case I decide to drop it in the river again.
3. A card from the best friend
Let's go a bit cheesy. I have no idea when she wrote this card. She can't recall either. I was driving around town once and this car cut me off, badly. I skidded to a halt on the side of the four-way and everything in my overhead CD case came out. Oddly enough, I don't have CDs in the case. I use it to hold a couple coffee cards, some pens, and a picture of my father. But as I was scooping things up, I came across the card. What she wrote means a lot to me, and I'll take it out and read it every now and then when the shit is hitting the fan.
2. The number 7
I love the number 7. I wore this number throughout high school and was sorely disappointed to discover that in rowing, you don't get to choose your number. While there was a 7 seat, I was never technically good enough, or tall enough to fit 7. I rode/rowed each and every seat in the boat except 7. I have a number 7 tattoo on my right arm, and a number 7 soccer ball hanging in my truck.
I told you I was struggling here.
And the number 1 item I carry with me/have on my each and every day...
1. Post it note with a friend's name
I am a note taker. My desk usually has a couple of notepads, and a pile of sticky notes on it. I use them all the time. A few years ago, I wrote down one of my friends names on the note as a reminder. I can't recall what the reason was. It might have been a birthday, or a call reminder, whatever it was, her name was on the note. We left for a regatta, and the note got stuck to my water bottle. We had a great regatta, and I noticed the note on the trip back home. So because the note had been ruined essentially, I wrote her name down again, put it on my desk again, and the very next weekend, the note was stuck to the bottom of my water bottle. And we won. Seems strange, but I had a habit of putting my water bottle onto my notes - brilliant. The next week, I made sure to avoid doing that, and that weekend we had a terrible race. So from then on, my friends name is on a sticky note, stuck in my wallet. I don't believe in luck, but I am superstitious and while I've lost track of the wins/losses, the sticky note is still tucked inside my wallet.
There we go. A rather weak Top-10 list.
Stay safe out there.
But after a heavier post, I thought I'd do something inspired by a video I saw on YouTube: Top-10 Items _____ Can't Live Without.
I thought I'd change it a bit and make it another Peek Inside video and list the Top-10 Things I Carry/Have Each Day, and maybe an explanation behind it. I'm going to challenge myself and try and skirt around the obvious, but in some cases that may not be possible.
Here we go.
10. iTunes on cell phone
I don't listen to the radio because commercials make me cranky, and all radio jockeys are terrible. I don't think I'd survive without my iTunes. Current playlist includes:
- Jordan Critz
- Michael Shynes
- Brad Paisley
- AC/DC
- Queen
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Kari Sigurosson
9. Favorite Yeti bottle
Filled either with coffee, or tea from Stash. And I'm like good old school French chefs when it comes to my coffee: I pride myself on making something delicious out of something a lot of people might skip in favor of a "better" brand. Current brands:
- Coffee: Folgers medium roast
- Tea: Stash Moroccan Mint, Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, Peppermint
8. Trucker hat
When I was a kid, I used to wear baseball hats nonstop. My favorites were an old White Sox hat, and a Dodgers hat (Grandfathers Stark and Truan loved the Dodgers). Then I didn't like how I looked in them, but since I began working out, I'm liking them more. Current hats:
- State of California hat from Branded Bills
- California Republic hat from Branded Bills
- OSU trucker hat
- Wise Ass by prAna (Personally, I prefer smart ass, but fine)
7. Aviator sunglasses
Costco brand. Prescription. I love them, and I've been knowing to make, "Top Gun" quotes in the launch, usually answering a raised hand with the famous, "Talk to me Goose." I don't know the brand, but I love them. It's, "Top Gun."
6. A protein bar
I like my protein bars the same way I like my cereal: I don't stick to a brand, I just go with whatever strikes my fancy at the time. But, I do have a true love: The delicious, gloriously crispy, crumbles upon opening, Nature Valley Oat n' Honey bar. Other brands will vary, but you can't beat the versatility of this bar. Great on it's own, or crumbled over yogurt or ice cream.
5. "Trendy" anchor, fish hook, and IRA bracelets
Not this particular brand. In fact I cannot recall where I got the bracelets from. Currently I am not wearing them because of the excessive amount of hand washing I do - they get wet, stay wet, and that's annoying. The IRA bracelet will change per year going off a tradition that was big at my alma mater. Each year, we'd get a WIRAs bracelet, and the idea was to wear that bracelet until you were at WIRAs again the following year before removing it. Most didn't make it due to general wear and tear. I don't think any of mine did. The same goes with the IRA bracelet. Currently the 2019 bracelet will have to pull double duty till 2021.
4. Powerbeats
I mentioned these a couple of posts ago, but I love them. The cable can get a little annoying at times if it binds up, but honestly, I've had these for several years now and they work great. I love the clarity in phone calls, and how they are snug without being a pain - literally - in the ear.
It's getting a bit more difficult now, and I'm trying to steer away from the obvious such as my notebook, or laptop. I tend not to carry a bunch of items with me. This way if I go into the drink I don't have to stress that much about what I may or may not be losing. My wallet and keys are always in my truck - I love having keypadded doors - and my cell phone is backed up just in case I decide to drop it in the river again.
3. A card from the best friend
Let's go a bit cheesy. I have no idea when she wrote this card. She can't recall either. I was driving around town once and this car cut me off, badly. I skidded to a halt on the side of the four-way and everything in my overhead CD case came out. Oddly enough, I don't have CDs in the case. I use it to hold a couple coffee cards, some pens, and a picture of my father. But as I was scooping things up, I came across the card. What she wrote means a lot to me, and I'll take it out and read it every now and then when the shit is hitting the fan.
2. The number 7
I love the number 7. I wore this number throughout high school and was sorely disappointed to discover that in rowing, you don't get to choose your number. While there was a 7 seat, I was never technically good enough, or tall enough to fit 7. I rode/rowed each and every seat in the boat except 7. I have a number 7 tattoo on my right arm, and a number 7 soccer ball hanging in my truck.
I told you I was struggling here.
And the number 1 item I carry with me/have on my each and every day...
1. Post it note with a friend's name
I am a note taker. My desk usually has a couple of notepads, and a pile of sticky notes on it. I use them all the time. A few years ago, I wrote down one of my friends names on the note as a reminder. I can't recall what the reason was. It might have been a birthday, or a call reminder, whatever it was, her name was on the note. We left for a regatta, and the note got stuck to my water bottle. We had a great regatta, and I noticed the note on the trip back home. So because the note had been ruined essentially, I wrote her name down again, put it on my desk again, and the very next weekend, the note was stuck to the bottom of my water bottle. And we won. Seems strange, but I had a habit of putting my water bottle onto my notes - brilliant. The next week, I made sure to avoid doing that, and that weekend we had a terrible race. So from then on, my friends name is on a sticky note, stuck in my wallet. I don't believe in luck, but I am superstitious and while I've lost track of the wins/losses, the sticky note is still tucked inside my wallet.
There we go. A rather weak Top-10 list.
Stay safe out there.

Comments