A Peek Inside (Part 3)
Hello readers,
Yesterday I went through some of the technology that I use on a daily basis, covering my laptops, phone, and favorite earbuds.
Today, something a little more general, and less extensive: Clothing.
I receive a lot of gear from the program ranging from shoes to a lovely heavy coat that isn't waterproof, but is exceptionally warm. But I still have my own gear. A lot of this has come through trial and error - much error in some cases - and is my go to even now. I'm fairly partial toward specific brands such as Patagonia, and NorthFace and also staunchly against other brands - Mammut - and I'll try and cover the reasons here.
One note: You'll notice that a lot of my gear is a bit over the top, and designed for usage that goes above and beyond what I use it for. In the gaming world they'd call it OP or overpowered. You'll see familiar brands, but the choice of product is for weather or conditions more robust than you'll ever encounter at a regatta or practice.
So why the OP gear?
Simple: OP gear lasts. I don't like to replace my gear on a yearly basis even though the temptation is strong. The second that North Face or Helly Hansen catalogue hits the mailbox, my wallet starts smoking. But you'll see that most of my gear has been around for several seasons. My boots: Six years. My rain pants: Nearly 10. My most recent replacement purchase was for a new set of gloves and the ones they replaced - which I still have as a backup pair - were bought eight years ago.
I like stuff that lasts more than I like the snazzy new looks - trust me, if I had the money I'd probably replace my gear every year and donate - and the more OP it is, the more likely it is to make it through the standard wear and tear of any season.
With that said, here is my general gear list:
Rain jacket
I am still in the market for a good rain jacket. The best rain jacket I ever had was a prototype from Columbia that a brand representative gave me for helping her do a complete setup in the old GI Joes. Variations of this jacket did come out, but not this specific jacket. The waterproof and breathability ratings were off the charts for the time - back when Columbia posted their ratings for each jacket inside the jacket - and even now, 10 years later, I still use it as a light rain coat.
I made the massive and instantly regrettable decision to try a Mammut rain jacket, and after two years of battling to make it a true rain jacket, I gave up and gave it to a friend. I did warn her that despite what Mammut claims, it is not a rain jacket, but it would make a fine sponge or wind breaker. Sorry Mammut, but your gear is terrible, and at the price point I paid - $275 - I have absolutely no desire to try another one of your products. Seriously, I used the wash in waterproof by Nikwax, Scotchgard, and literally nothing would tighten up this jacket. Also, I swear by both of those products, especially Nikwax which you will see shortly.
So I am still looking. Requirements for said rain jacket are extensive. Because rowing is outdoors, and because I seem determined to either stay in the PNW or go where it tends to rain, a lot - Buffalo - I need good rain gear. The fabric can't be heavy but it must be tough enough to resist tears on equipment. It needs a solid brim to shed the water, and it had to hang just below the waist - I can't stand jackets that end right at the waist of your pants. The zippers don't have to be waterproof, but I like the jackets with the flaps behind the zippers as well as one that covers the zippers.
Snowboard pants
Snowboard pants are my go to for inclement weather. Rowing has "dry" suits, and I hate them for a number of reasons. First, they're never dry. A drop of water inside and they are done for the life of the suit. No matter how long they hang, no matter where you put them, you will pull them on and find a grow patch of wet on your body from a hidden puddle. Second, they smell awful after one use. I've seen boathouses with drying rooms, and drying racks, and none of them work. Drysuits smell like butt after a single use and given how expensive they are, they're never a single use. And have you seen the cost? Outrageous. Drysuits, to borrow a phrase from one Alton Brown of cooking fame, are unitaskers. You can use them for one thing: Smelling and getting wet. You can't go around town with them. You can't launder them reasonably, and you'll spend a fortune trying to dry them and they'll never come dry.
Ok, enough about drysuits. Snowboard pants. I'm happy to say that unlike my experience with rain jackets, snowboard pants have never let me down, regardless of the company. I prefer some to others, but I have two pair. One pair is a lightweight material for when it's warm but rainy - usually a September/early October and late April/early May pant, and then a heavy duty pair with insulation. One of the reasons why snowboard pants have never let me down is because of Nikwax which is why I swear by that company. Seriously, Nikwax could probably waterproof water. My two favorite brands for snowboard pants are Helly Hansen and North Face. H/H is my lightweight pant and NF is the heavy duty. Both are reinforced by Nikwax and both are more waterproof than most anything you'll buy straight off the rack.
Why two pairs and why not buy one and layer? Have you ever tried wearing several layers of pants? It's not like shirts or sweaters which are generally thinner. Pants are thick. After a pair of compression tights, and thick socks, and jeans, you're generally not interested in pulling on anything else. Also both sets of pants double as my snowboarding/skiing pants.
Compression tights
It has to be darn cold for me to break these out, and they weren't originally purchased for coaching but snowboarding. But I'm glad I have them. While I've worked for Nike schools - gear specifically provided by Nike - my preferred tights are the Cold Gear compression tights from Under Armour. They are the only product by UA that I like, and they work well. Interestingly, I do not like compression for the upper body. I find the movement too restrictive. I'd rather layer up.
Layer Jackets
Two words. Patagonia Nano Puff. I blame my good friend Sam for introducing these to me, and I haven't looked back since. I have three including one with a hood. I discovered early on that the best use for these isn't to wear them on the outside of your clothing, but under a sweater. If it's super cold out, I'll pull one of these on over a t-shirt, then add a hoody or track jacket, plus a rain jacket and I'm about as warm as you can get. I also have one from North Face that I got for free. As much as I love North Face, their puffy doesn't come close to the Patagonia.
Boots
I've never been a fan of boots for two reasons. First, I didn't like how long it took the lace them up, and the dangers a laced boot presents when coaching in a liquid environment. Second, I never found a pair that lived up to the hype. I've tried several companies, and all had issues from uppers that wore out or ripped, or waterproofing that wasn't ever waterproof - a common occurrence with me - so I stuck to waterproof shoes. And despite their trendy nature, rubber boots were not for yours truly. That was until I got a pair of Danner boots. Danners are the first company that touts waterproof boots that are actually, amazingly waterproof. I've stood in a good 8" of water and not had a single issue. They're also durable, and lightweight without sacrificing comfort or warmth. I took my first pair to Alaska for two months and went slogging around the mountains, valleys, and meadows with my brother as well as deep sea fishing and had no issues. My feet remained comfortable even after a couple all day hikes. I have two pairs now. My work horse pair, and a second pair I got for a song that have heavier insulation. To be honest, I wish I'd not purchased the second pair simply because I've had them for three years and never worn them. The original pair is still in incredible shape, a testament to the construction of the boot.
As for safety, water filled boots will drag you down, and in a capsize situation, I don't want to have to struggle pulling the boots off. I figure that if I'm wearing the boots, the weather is likely bad enough that I'm also wearing a fair amount of gear, half of which can't be shed without losing the shoes. So I don't lace my boots up. They have the laces in them to keep them snug, but I don't tie them. Instead I tuck the lace ends into the boots so they are extremely easy to kick off. I rely on the binding around the cuff of the rain pants or jeans to keep them in place.
Waterproof shoes
Again, my friend Sam is the culprit here as he introduced these to me in grad school. I've never been a fan of high top shoes and even though I love my Danner boots, they can be overkill at times especially if the regatta grounds are fairly firm despite the weather. Mercer Lake comes to mind. Salomon shoes with GoreTex are my favorites. I wasn't a fan of the speed lacing at first, but now I can't live without it. I'm not worried about having to swim in these, but if I am, the speed lacing means I can rip these off without any concerns. I love these. They can become overwhelmed by extensive use or excessive amounts of water - Lake Las Vegas 2019 comes to mind - but they wash of easily and dry quickly. These are excellent shoes. And they are extremely comfortable. I tend to wear them around town as often as I wear sneakers.
Gloves
I recently replaced my gloves with some DaKine gloves with leather palms, warm inserts, and a long cuff which is lovely for pulling over your jacket sleeve. Unfortunately, I cannot find the specific gloves I purchased here but there are a few options. My previous gloves were from North Face and served me well for quite a few years. But they were fraying and showing some serious wear and tear so I decided it was time to get some new ones. These are great and dry quickly. The one drawback is that because they are snowboard/ski gloves, they do have a goggle squeegee on the left thumb and I tend to forget that when I go to wipe my nose. That's hilarious fun. But overall I'm very happy with the DaKine gloves.
Work pants
Work pants are for projects around the boathouse or whenever we're trailer loading. And sometimes at regattas. These are less a specific brand and more about comfort and durability. I'm not a fan of Carhartt. Don't get me wrong. Carhartt makes excellent clothing, but I've found it a bit too over the top for what I need it for, and I don't like the break-in factor. I'm looking for decent flexibility immediately so I prefer Dickies, and my new favorite, Kuhl, specifically these. I love these pants and they are good for both regatta days, and for general wear - if you haven't noticed, I like clothing that serves multiple purposes - and are very comfortable while still feeling robust enough to brush by a boat without stressing that something might snag and rip - a common problem with jeans.
That's my gear run down. I'm not including shirts, jeans, caps, etc. because those are less specific need and more whatever you'd like to purchase. I wear Express jeans, or used to - they've made some changes I'm not happy with - or Banana Republic jeans which are rather expensive considering the job, but it was time to upgrade from American Eagle.
I've been cutting down my closet the last couple of years because of the amount of gear that I get from the programs - jackets, shirts, sweaters, etc. - and because I'm usually needing to wear something with the school logo at all times leaving on the weekends to get out of the brand.
Yesterday I went through some of the technology that I use on a daily basis, covering my laptops, phone, and favorite earbuds.
Today, something a little more general, and less extensive: Clothing.
I receive a lot of gear from the program ranging from shoes to a lovely heavy coat that isn't waterproof, but is exceptionally warm. But I still have my own gear. A lot of this has come through trial and error - much error in some cases - and is my go to even now. I'm fairly partial toward specific brands such as Patagonia, and NorthFace and also staunchly against other brands - Mammut - and I'll try and cover the reasons here.
One note: You'll notice that a lot of my gear is a bit over the top, and designed for usage that goes above and beyond what I use it for. In the gaming world they'd call it OP or overpowered. You'll see familiar brands, but the choice of product is for weather or conditions more robust than you'll ever encounter at a regatta or practice.
So why the OP gear?
Simple: OP gear lasts. I don't like to replace my gear on a yearly basis even though the temptation is strong. The second that North Face or Helly Hansen catalogue hits the mailbox, my wallet starts smoking. But you'll see that most of my gear has been around for several seasons. My boots: Six years. My rain pants: Nearly 10. My most recent replacement purchase was for a new set of gloves and the ones they replaced - which I still have as a backup pair - were bought eight years ago.
I like stuff that lasts more than I like the snazzy new looks - trust me, if I had the money I'd probably replace my gear every year and donate - and the more OP it is, the more likely it is to make it through the standard wear and tear of any season.
With that said, here is my general gear list:
Rain jacket
I am still in the market for a good rain jacket. The best rain jacket I ever had was a prototype from Columbia that a brand representative gave me for helping her do a complete setup in the old GI Joes. Variations of this jacket did come out, but not this specific jacket. The waterproof and breathability ratings were off the charts for the time - back when Columbia posted their ratings for each jacket inside the jacket - and even now, 10 years later, I still use it as a light rain coat.
I made the massive and instantly regrettable decision to try a Mammut rain jacket, and after two years of battling to make it a true rain jacket, I gave up and gave it to a friend. I did warn her that despite what Mammut claims, it is not a rain jacket, but it would make a fine sponge or wind breaker. Sorry Mammut, but your gear is terrible, and at the price point I paid - $275 - I have absolutely no desire to try another one of your products. Seriously, I used the wash in waterproof by Nikwax, Scotchgard, and literally nothing would tighten up this jacket. Also, I swear by both of those products, especially Nikwax which you will see shortly.
So I am still looking. Requirements for said rain jacket are extensive. Because rowing is outdoors, and because I seem determined to either stay in the PNW or go where it tends to rain, a lot - Buffalo - I need good rain gear. The fabric can't be heavy but it must be tough enough to resist tears on equipment. It needs a solid brim to shed the water, and it had to hang just below the waist - I can't stand jackets that end right at the waist of your pants. The zippers don't have to be waterproof, but I like the jackets with the flaps behind the zippers as well as one that covers the zippers.
Snowboard pants
Snowboard pants are my go to for inclement weather. Rowing has "dry" suits, and I hate them for a number of reasons. First, they're never dry. A drop of water inside and they are done for the life of the suit. No matter how long they hang, no matter where you put them, you will pull them on and find a grow patch of wet on your body from a hidden puddle. Second, they smell awful after one use. I've seen boathouses with drying rooms, and drying racks, and none of them work. Drysuits smell like butt after a single use and given how expensive they are, they're never a single use. And have you seen the cost? Outrageous. Drysuits, to borrow a phrase from one Alton Brown of cooking fame, are unitaskers. You can use them for one thing: Smelling and getting wet. You can't go around town with them. You can't launder them reasonably, and you'll spend a fortune trying to dry them and they'll never come dry.
Ok, enough about drysuits. Snowboard pants. I'm happy to say that unlike my experience with rain jackets, snowboard pants have never let me down, regardless of the company. I prefer some to others, but I have two pair. One pair is a lightweight material for when it's warm but rainy - usually a September/early October and late April/early May pant, and then a heavy duty pair with insulation. One of the reasons why snowboard pants have never let me down is because of Nikwax which is why I swear by that company. Seriously, Nikwax could probably waterproof water. My two favorite brands for snowboard pants are Helly Hansen and North Face. H/H is my lightweight pant and NF is the heavy duty. Both are reinforced by Nikwax and both are more waterproof than most anything you'll buy straight off the rack.
Why two pairs and why not buy one and layer? Have you ever tried wearing several layers of pants? It's not like shirts or sweaters which are generally thinner. Pants are thick. After a pair of compression tights, and thick socks, and jeans, you're generally not interested in pulling on anything else. Also both sets of pants double as my snowboarding/skiing pants.
Compression tights
It has to be darn cold for me to break these out, and they weren't originally purchased for coaching but snowboarding. But I'm glad I have them. While I've worked for Nike schools - gear specifically provided by Nike - my preferred tights are the Cold Gear compression tights from Under Armour. They are the only product by UA that I like, and they work well. Interestingly, I do not like compression for the upper body. I find the movement too restrictive. I'd rather layer up.
Layer Jackets
Two words. Patagonia Nano Puff. I blame my good friend Sam for introducing these to me, and I haven't looked back since. I have three including one with a hood. I discovered early on that the best use for these isn't to wear them on the outside of your clothing, but under a sweater. If it's super cold out, I'll pull one of these on over a t-shirt, then add a hoody or track jacket, plus a rain jacket and I'm about as warm as you can get. I also have one from North Face that I got for free. As much as I love North Face, their puffy doesn't come close to the Patagonia.
Boots
I've never been a fan of boots for two reasons. First, I didn't like how long it took the lace them up, and the dangers a laced boot presents when coaching in a liquid environment. Second, I never found a pair that lived up to the hype. I've tried several companies, and all had issues from uppers that wore out or ripped, or waterproofing that wasn't ever waterproof - a common occurrence with me - so I stuck to waterproof shoes. And despite their trendy nature, rubber boots were not for yours truly. That was until I got a pair of Danner boots. Danners are the first company that touts waterproof boots that are actually, amazingly waterproof. I've stood in a good 8" of water and not had a single issue. They're also durable, and lightweight without sacrificing comfort or warmth. I took my first pair to Alaska for two months and went slogging around the mountains, valleys, and meadows with my brother as well as deep sea fishing and had no issues. My feet remained comfortable even after a couple all day hikes. I have two pairs now. My work horse pair, and a second pair I got for a song that have heavier insulation. To be honest, I wish I'd not purchased the second pair simply because I've had them for three years and never worn them. The original pair is still in incredible shape, a testament to the construction of the boot.
As for safety, water filled boots will drag you down, and in a capsize situation, I don't want to have to struggle pulling the boots off. I figure that if I'm wearing the boots, the weather is likely bad enough that I'm also wearing a fair amount of gear, half of which can't be shed without losing the shoes. So I don't lace my boots up. They have the laces in them to keep them snug, but I don't tie them. Instead I tuck the lace ends into the boots so they are extremely easy to kick off. I rely on the binding around the cuff of the rain pants or jeans to keep them in place.
Waterproof shoes
Again, my friend Sam is the culprit here as he introduced these to me in grad school. I've never been a fan of high top shoes and even though I love my Danner boots, they can be overkill at times especially if the regatta grounds are fairly firm despite the weather. Mercer Lake comes to mind. Salomon shoes with GoreTex are my favorites. I wasn't a fan of the speed lacing at first, but now I can't live without it. I'm not worried about having to swim in these, but if I am, the speed lacing means I can rip these off without any concerns. I love these. They can become overwhelmed by extensive use or excessive amounts of water - Lake Las Vegas 2019 comes to mind - but they wash of easily and dry quickly. These are excellent shoes. And they are extremely comfortable. I tend to wear them around town as often as I wear sneakers.
Gloves
I recently replaced my gloves with some DaKine gloves with leather palms, warm inserts, and a long cuff which is lovely for pulling over your jacket sleeve. Unfortunately, I cannot find the specific gloves I purchased here but there are a few options. My previous gloves were from North Face and served me well for quite a few years. But they were fraying and showing some serious wear and tear so I decided it was time to get some new ones. These are great and dry quickly. The one drawback is that because they are snowboard/ski gloves, they do have a goggle squeegee on the left thumb and I tend to forget that when I go to wipe my nose. That's hilarious fun. But overall I'm very happy with the DaKine gloves.
Work pants
Work pants are for projects around the boathouse or whenever we're trailer loading. And sometimes at regattas. These are less a specific brand and more about comfort and durability. I'm not a fan of Carhartt. Don't get me wrong. Carhartt makes excellent clothing, but I've found it a bit too over the top for what I need it for, and I don't like the break-in factor. I'm looking for decent flexibility immediately so I prefer Dickies, and my new favorite, Kuhl, specifically these. I love these pants and they are good for both regatta days, and for general wear - if you haven't noticed, I like clothing that serves multiple purposes - and are very comfortable while still feeling robust enough to brush by a boat without stressing that something might snag and rip - a common problem with jeans.
That's my gear run down. I'm not including shirts, jeans, caps, etc. because those are less specific need and more whatever you'd like to purchase. I wear Express jeans, or used to - they've made some changes I'm not happy with - or Banana Republic jeans which are rather expensive considering the job, but it was time to upgrade from American Eagle.
I've been cutting down my closet the last couple of years because of the amount of gear that I get from the programs - jackets, shirts, sweaters, etc. - and because I'm usually needing to wear something with the school logo at all times leaving on the weekends to get out of the brand.


Comments