That was last year

I read this article over breakfast this morning.

Andrew Luck, the franchise quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts has a lot to prove this year?  Andrew Luck who has led the Colts to three playoff berths in four years?  Andrew Luck who has led the Colts deeper into the playoffs each year, culminating in an AFC Championship game appearance in his third year in the NFL?  That Andrew Luck has a lot to prove?

Yes, that Andrew Luck.

It doesn't matter that he was setting records a year ago, prior to being injured.  It doesn't matter that the Colts franchise has struggled to put together a solid offensive line to protect their franchise quarterback.

In the sports world what you did yesterday, what you do today doesn't count when compared to what you should be doing tomorrow.

It's a rough business that we're involved in.  It's very much a, "what are you going to do next," world where regardless of how good you have been, regardless of what you've done in the past, most folks are looking toward the future.  There are many, "Yes, but" individuals out there ready to pan your accomplishments.

It wasn't long ago that Tom Brady, future Hall of Famer Tom Brady, was being panned for flaming out in two Superbowl games.  It didn't matter that he'd won three already.  Many were looking at the two losses.  Pete Carroll has done a remarkable job in Seattle, leading the team to two consecutive Superbowls, winning one in a blowout over my Denver Broncos - still hurts - and coming within inches of winning a second.  And most want to discuss that second one and the "controversial" play call - one that I believe was the correct call - and the failure to secure back-to-back wins.  Never mind the regular season, the previous title, it's all about what he wasn't able to do.

Again, that's sports.  As a coach, I grow frustrated by this.  As a sports fan, some times fanatic, I get the fandamonium.  My favorite soccer club is Manchester United.  I've been on pins and needles since Sir Alex Ferguson hung up the coat.  I love the Portland Trail Blazers, and it's been painful to watch the team rebuilding again.  And I don't wish to discuss the Colorado Avalanche, and how I pine for the late 90's/early 2000's.

Sports fans are spoiled.  Mostly.  I would grudgingly admit that Chicago Cubs fans are probably suffering more than most, but generally we are all spoiled.  We feel as though these professional athletes and coaches, "owe" us.  We feel that our buying tickets and jerseys, and general fandom somehow give us the power to sway decisions.  We rip apart GMs one minute, and laud them the next.  My favorite baseball team, the Red Sox?  Disaster in 2012.  Sheer joy in 2013.  A struggle since then.  Three World Series titles since 2000, and yet I'm sitting here gnawing on my hat wondering when we're going to see this rebuilding effort done.

It's rough.  I'm not in a particularly popular sport, and certainly not one with the million dollar contracts and endorsements, yet I still understand the pinch.

I was in a discussion with my girlfriend the other day over contracts, and payment.  I argued that to the regular observer, most athletes and coaches are overpaid.  Millions of dollars a year to play a game.  And yet when you consider what these athletes go through, what they do day to day to earn those contracts, the sleepless nights, and long stints away from home the coaches experience, not to mention the hours that stretch well beyond an 8-hour day, or 40-hour week, you begin to understand why they are paid as well as they are.  And notice that I said nothing about the pressures to win.  Those are heavy.

The article on Andrew Luck fascinated me.  Here is an excellent athlete who was on pace to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.  I still believe that he will rebound well, and eventually find his place amongst the greats.  But it wasn't a year ago that he was the toast of the league, and now, one injured plagued season later, the fans and sports writers believe he has to prove himself all over again.

Spoiled.

Comments

Popular Posts