Internal conflict

Arguments over boats.  In fighting.  Gossip and rumors.  Internal conflict.  

In short, drama.

I like some friction on a team.  Good friction.  Fighting for seats.  Fighting for boats.  Friends outside of practice, but in practice, grinders.  

You do the run risk of having a bad apple.  I've yet to encounter a program that doesn't have this issue, and I've yet to hear from friends who coach for other programs who don't have this issue.  It amazes me the programs out there that are of the highest caliber that still encounter internal conflict of the negative variety.  

I suppose that it's bound to happen.  You're on a team for an extended period of time.  The sport isn't entirely understood when you're new so you're not 100 percent certain what the coach is thinking when building lineups.  There are times that it seems no matter how hard you try, you're not getting ahead.  

I get it.  Those of us who've been on teams, especially rowing can empathize with this struggle.  

But there's the struggle, and then there is bringing everyone else around you down.  And currently, that is what I'm dealing with.  And frankly, I'm a bit more than pissed off about it.  

We had a great week of practice last week.  We came off a very successful regatta where everyone on the women's team earned at least one medal.  We had great 2k test results on Thursday, and we're less than two weeks away from one of the final regattas of the season.  

And tonight, and tomorrow I'm dealing with rumor spreading, individuals who are upset enough to cause trouble, but not upset enough to come talk with the coaches.  

This is not a women's program issue.  I dealt with this in spades coaching men.  I've seen men's programs fall apart at the seams with these sort of conflicts.  I've watched plenty of promising seasons on both sides amount to nothing.  

Two weeks till the end of the regular season.  Now is not the time.  

Comments

Popular Posts