Dr. Stark?
Dr. Stark. It does have a nice ring to it.
Let me go back.
I am an analytics nut. Well, perhaps not nut, but I am very interested in analytics and it's introduction into sports. I don't believe that analytics will tell you everything about an athlete, but that used in conjunction with traditional metrics, can help you rebuild a program, or grow a program.
I started learning about analytics through the book and movie, "Moneyball," an excellent read if you've not picked it up.
I believe firmly that there are athletes who are overlooked when it comes to recruitment, and that a program could take advantage of this through the use of analytics.
My poor professors in grad school had to deal with this push for metrics and analytics with nearly all of my papers, and projects. Every interview I had to do with my program involved recruitment, recruit identification, and translating performance on land to performance on water.
The problem that I have is that I have an idea, but not the knowledge of where to go next. I've been looking into programs at Georgia Tech, Northwestern and Columbia.
And now, a professor from my graduate program has put me in touch with Loughborough University in London. It's a full scholarship doctorate program in sports business, and one of the off shoots is leadership and innovation. So we shall see what happens. I've contacted one of the professors who runs the program to find out more. I'm intrigued by the idea because I know that GB Rowing is using analytics, or has started incorporating analytics into athlete evaluation and identification. Plus two or three years in the UK could be interesting.
Let me go back.
I am an analytics nut. Well, perhaps not nut, but I am very interested in analytics and it's introduction into sports. I don't believe that analytics will tell you everything about an athlete, but that used in conjunction with traditional metrics, can help you rebuild a program, or grow a program.
I started learning about analytics through the book and movie, "Moneyball," an excellent read if you've not picked it up.
I believe firmly that there are athletes who are overlooked when it comes to recruitment, and that a program could take advantage of this through the use of analytics.
My poor professors in grad school had to deal with this push for metrics and analytics with nearly all of my papers, and projects. Every interview I had to do with my program involved recruitment, recruit identification, and translating performance on land to performance on water.
The problem that I have is that I have an idea, but not the knowledge of where to go next. I've been looking into programs at Georgia Tech, Northwestern and Columbia.
And now, a professor from my graduate program has put me in touch with Loughborough University in London. It's a full scholarship doctorate program in sports business, and one of the off shoots is leadership and innovation. So we shall see what happens. I've contacted one of the professors who runs the program to find out more. I'm intrigued by the idea because I know that GB Rowing is using analytics, or has started incorporating analytics into athlete evaluation and identification. Plus two or three years in the UK could be interesting.

Comments