Zoned out
I was at a coaches conference and we were discussing those late night/all nighters - ok I'm the only person who was pulling all nighters - working on data, lineups, etc. We were talking about how you stay focused, or how you're able to zone into the work and zone out of everything else.
I choose music. I slap on a pair of earbuds - I'm not a fan of headphones - and crank the music up and go to work. But I'm very selective of my music because I tend to get distracted easily. Darn ADD. So random shuffle doesn't work for me because I'll hear a song that I'm not feeling and then start skipping around. I'm able to tune out most everything, but not something that I don't want to hear.
I usually go for instrumental Hans Zimmer types or something with a steady beat. The music is simply to cut down on outside distractions, and not something to focus on - which is why I don't want lyrics or shuffle.
My current "zone out" playlist, and I say playlist loosely because I usually lock the iPod on repeat. These songs also work while going for a run - I don't listen to music while riding my bike - or working around the boathouse.
Time - Hans Zimmer
The XX - Intro
Lashes - Daniel Law Heath
Lower Your Eyes to Die With the Sun - M83
Dirty Paws - Of Monsters and Men*
*This breaks the instrumental rule, but I do enjoy the song.

Comments