Small things...

First day on the water for the novice women.  We had three eights and a four of experienced novices.  
The results?  

Excellent.  

There are of course the growing pains that you would expect from all novices - even with the experienced athletes - but watching them row today was a real pay off for the time taken the last week of working diligently on technique on the ergs and in the tank.  

This is the first time I've seen a coach spend this much time and effort on "getting it right" from day one.  The usual thing I've seen coaches do - myself included - is time on the ergs right away, a little bit of dock rowing, and then we're off.  And the results?  A mess.  A hot mess.  There are some good strokes, but a lot of frantic ones.  And yes everyone is having fun, but in my opinion, you're reinforcing bad habits.  It's about surviving the first day and we should be in the business of thriving.  
A few years ago I picked up a saying that I absolutely love and that has stuck with me as I've worked hard to transition from an impatient coach to an impatient coach who understands the value of taking time.

"Don't do anything that you'll have to un-teach later."

This is a great quote, and one that I remind myself of over and over again - some times by force - when I'm coaching or helping coach novices.  Take the time to teach technique right the first time and lay a foundation you can build upon rather than trying to run before you can even crawl.  

I am really excited to see what these walk-ons can do.  There is some serious talent waiting to be tapped.  

Comments

Popular Posts