Long days to short days

While I've never felt old, the transition to the longer days has not been like riding a bike.  This really has been something that I needed to work up to a little more than I did.

I thought, "Hey, I worked long hours for four straight years.  One year off won't really change things."  Oh it has.  It most definitely has.  And while I'm not putting in those 18 hour days I was two years ago, the 12 hour days haven't come easy either.

It's the being on the feet all day that really does you in.  I didn't notice it during the day, but I came home today and my feet are throbbing.  I've never been so happy for the extra wide shoes I have to wear for my poor flat feet.

That being said, it's been productive.  My preference is a long day that is anywhere between 12 and 16 hours in length.  Beyond that and you really need to ask yourself, "What am I doing?"  Anything shorter, and I'd say, "That is not a long day."  And inside I'm chiding myself at feeling fuzzy over a 6am alarm when I was getting up at 345am to go to Willamette.  That's 2 hours more sleep!

All that said, we are unfortunately closing in on the cut back time.  November 9th we scale back from 20 hours a week to 8.  While I am thrilled that I don't have to go "lights out" for 105 days like I did at Willamette, once again I am left feeling as though we just got the wheels spinning, and now we're having to back off.

Still, 8 hours is significant when used correctly, and I believe that based on the talk I've been hearing, we will put in a solid 8 hour effort a week.

Comments

Popular Posts