Race recap

Yesterday was way too long.  Up at 330 am, home in Eugene by 930 pm.

I'm not overly happy with how the regatta was run yesterday for several reasons.  The schedule continued to change - has been changing near daily the last two weeks - as we were preparing the launch.  And the regatta was unnecessarily lengthy because of two boat flights on 15 minute centers with two hour and a half breaks.

I was happy to get the athletes out for their first race, but when you only practice one day a week, you end up paying for it when you race against programs that do not limit themselves.

There are things that we can work on, there are things that went well, and there are going to be things we can't overcome with this handicap.  A week of Spring Break training does not make up for months of missed water time.

As you can tell, I am not particularly thrilled to be up against it, nor am I buying into the optimism of, "11 practices in one week."

If you want to be good, you have to practice.  I don't care what the odds or obstacles are, you have to overcome them.  Again, the price can NEVER be negotiated, only the goals can be.

Comments

Popular Posts