Calculated risk
Last night I took a calculated risk, and did something I've never done in my coaching career - thus far.
I set a lineup early in the season.
I typically hold off on doing this. I usually know what lineup(s) I want to run early in the season, but I tend to continue looking at them throughout the season up to a point.
Based on the regatta results yesterday, and by what I've seen on the water, along with some private conversations in certain athletes, I decided to take the risk and set the lineup for the top or priority boat, and run with it.
It's not set in stone, and I'll change it as needed, but I felt that there is potential in the lineup, and the constant uncertainty was hurting it.
So we'll attack the problem, and the technique, and we'll see how this turns out.
It's not the same situation, but Mike Teti's quote has been passing through my mind. Paraphrased:
"If it works they'll call me a genius, if it doesn't they'll call me a fool."
I set a lineup early in the season.
I typically hold off on doing this. I usually know what lineup(s) I want to run early in the season, but I tend to continue looking at them throughout the season up to a point.
Based on the regatta results yesterday, and by what I've seen on the water, along with some private conversations in certain athletes, I decided to take the risk and set the lineup for the top or priority boat, and run with it.
It's not set in stone, and I'll change it as needed, but I felt that there is potential in the lineup, and the constant uncertainty was hurting it.
So we'll attack the problem, and the technique, and we'll see how this turns out.
It's not the same situation, but Mike Teti's quote has been passing through my mind. Paraphrased:
"If it works they'll call me a genius, if it doesn't they'll call me a fool."

Comments