Nearly ready, not yet

Sorry for the delay loyal readers.  I've been dealing with cold like symptoms for two weeks at this point, and I can tell you that I'm pretty done with all of it.

Nothing has worked - medications, home remedies, sleep, down time, nada - which has made coaching an absolute joy, let me tell you.

We're preparing for our first race this coming Saturday against some DIII programs.  I consider it a glorified scrimmage - nothing wrong with that - and have put together two relatively even, if not middle of the road boats for the round robin.

First, let me pause and vent for a quick second.  I love racing.  I love regattas.  I do not like it when an event is stretched out needlessly, something that is happening this week.  Multiple flights of two boats, long centers for races, very lengthy breaks, for a total of five programs.  This regatta should be done and over in 4 hours and instead will stretch from 8 till 3.  There's no shelter, there's limited facilities, and zero running water, and the location is not the easiest to reach.

Anyhow, off my soap box.

The head coach and I have been tossing around many ideas on how to proceed after this race, heading into spring break and the meat of the schedule.  Two weeks ago I lost one of the top athletes on the team because her parents moved her to Australia.  A rough transition for her, and a big loss for the team, which changed the priority boat from an eight to the four.

The plus side is that we found out now rather than after we started building boats, but it did hurt to lose a fast athlete.

Comments

Popular Posts