Deep breath
I'm watching a thread on a popular rowing forum get a little out of control over a popular coach - I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.
The latest post references the teenagers - 18 to 22 - who fought in World War 2 with great courage vs. the 18 to 22 year olds who now are seen as overly sensitive, and not tough enough.
Yes, I would say that I've seen a slow shift in how teens are raised, and it does seem that there is a greater need to be more aware of issues and such these days.
However....I worked with a great coach who would say, "You can't always use the same tool...build a bigger tool box."
And that's where I go with this. Teens too sensitive? Parents hovering? Possibly, but let's also examine how we are approaching the situation. To paraphrase this coach, "If your toolbox only contains a hammer, then everything looks like a nail." He was referencing technique, but the sentiment still applies.
I've worked with some coaches who would tell me about stubborn athletes, athletes who weren't coachable, etc. I found it amazing that the team had so many of these athletes. In my 10 years of experience - short experience - I've coached for 7 programs, collegiate & juniors, estimate that I've worked with over 450 athletes, and have encountered two athletes I might consider, "uncoachable." Two out of 450+. And both were uncoachable, not because they didn't possess the skills, but because they were enrolled against their will - something that became extremely apparently in meetings with their parents.
There is a greater need to be aware of how we treat and approach athletes, and I know that I am still learning. Yes, back in the "good ol' days," we could do whatever we wanted to the athletes. We could put them through near, "torture" practices, limited or no water breaks, etc.
We also allowed children under 12 to work in coal mines and in other dangerous situations that would be unthinkable these days.
So while I can understand this idea that, "Teens these days simply aren't tough enough," I believe it's wrong. Times are changing. Teenagers change. Parents change. Your coaching methods need to adapt along with them.

Comments