2k frustrations
The team pulled another 2k test this morning, and to get to the heart of things, I am not happy with the results. Extremely disappointed would be another way to put it.
We'd had a great week of practice, and I was looking forward to the test results to see how much time we'd picked up. I worked with several novices on putting together a plan of attack for their pieces, and gave them goal times that I felt would test them, but were attainable. I spoke at length to them about the discipline required to run a successful piece, about finding the rhythm immediately, settling strongly after 5 strokes, and maintaining their splits until 300m to go. Everything was ready for a great test.
And then as often happens with novices after they've pulled their first 2k test, nearly all of them went out much too fast on the first 500, and then crashed hard, rendering the data gained by the tests all by useless. Of all the novices to test, three improved, one quit, and the top four didn't gain a second over their previous test, and the rest went slower.
A bitter, difficult lesson to be sure, but one that seems to be common place amongst novices. We had a very brief, but determined chat afterward about discipline, and will address improvement over time more this coming week.
We'd had a great week of practice, and I was looking forward to the test results to see how much time we'd picked up. I worked with several novices on putting together a plan of attack for their pieces, and gave them goal times that I felt would test them, but were attainable. I spoke at length to them about the discipline required to run a successful piece, about finding the rhythm immediately, settling strongly after 5 strokes, and maintaining their splits until 300m to go. Everything was ready for a great test.
And then as often happens with novices after they've pulled their first 2k test, nearly all of them went out much too fast on the first 500, and then crashed hard, rendering the data gained by the tests all by useless. Of all the novices to test, three improved, one quit, and the top four didn't gain a second over their previous test, and the rest went slower.
A bitter, difficult lesson to be sure, but one that seems to be common place amongst novices. We had a very brief, but determined chat afterward about discipline, and will address improvement over time more this coming week.

Comments