A bountiful attitude

I want to share this video that was featured on row2k, and which you can find on YouTube.

A bountiful attitude, a sharing of information.

I enjoy and share that opinion, what was referred to as optimism.

I know that I've shared this story before, and posted an opinion it, but I believe it's worth mentioning again.  A few years ago I had the opportunity to listen to a coach talk about rowing.  Amongst the things that were shared was this idea of giving back, of sharing your knowledge with others.  The general idea was that all the coaches in the room, all of us representing junior and collegiate programs in the United States, weren't simply competing against each other, we were also competing for the US.  Our combined knowledge helped improve the national team.

And I believe that.

When I'm coaching or at a competition, I'm not just representing the colors or logo on my shirt, but I, in a small way, am contributing toward the success of the national team.

More than that...

My knowledge and experience was shaped by others.  It was first shaped through my soccer coach in high school, before being refined more by my collegiate coaches, and then through the coaches I've worked with or been able to meet with.  My ideas are not entirely original.  They are organic, and have grown and evolved as I've grown and evolved.  In every training idea or plan, is a bit of a previous coach either helping drive a point, or acting as a counter point.

I believe that as a coach it's our responsibility to have this, "bountiful attitude," where what we do and how we do it can be shared by those who want to learn.  I don't believe that the sport improves by hoarding our knowledge, and taking it with us.

Comments

Popular Posts