There's an app for that

What technology do you use to get through your day, or do your job?

There's a lot of technology that you have access to when you coach.  It seems like every year or so, something comes along that is going to "revolutionize" the industry.  

Remember these?   I remember seeing these for the first time in 2004, just before I graduated college.  They were cool looking, totally different than what I was used to seeing and using, and I remember how excited everyone was.  9 years later - give or take - and I've seen exactly 1 person using a set.  1 in 9 years. I'm not sitting here saying that the oar design is good, or bad, I'm saying that after the hype, after being told, "this is where things are heading" I've not seen it.

And I think that's how a lot of "revolutionizing" things go.  Self bailing boats, quick release riggers, adjustable oarlocks, I remember hearing about this in 2005, and it's here, but it's coming from one company.

I believe that the next innovation to really change rowing is already here.  It came in slowly, and without fanfare, but it's here, a lot of people argue over it, write books, and lecture on it, and it's something that you don't think about.

I believe that the innovation was in coaching.  Coaching stopped being just about the "x's and o's."  Psychology, physiology, nutrition, weight regiments, testing, cycle training, etc. it's all here.  Talk to a lot of the older coaches and it's been here for a while, but this seems to be where the innovation in rowing is really taking off.

Still, technology exists, some of it useful, and some you might need a multimillion dollar sports lab to use or understand it.  There's a lot of really cool stuff out there, most of it very expensive, some of it very complex, and depending on who you speak with, not needed.

I'm not going to get into everything that's available.  There is a system out right now that I really want, but I don't have $15,000 sitting around to purchase it.  Rose City has two such systems for their top boats, and I'm hoping to send my guys up there so they can row them.  The system gives you three printouts on a single graph.  The whole idea behind it is to help analyze strokes, stroke power, catches, etc.  It's cool, it's complex, and expensive.

When I start looking at technology that I can use, I look at it in terms of where I am, what kind of crews I should have year to year, and is it something that I can apply or is it just cool?  The final thing is price.  I don't allow price - within reason - to dictate whether or not I use or purchase something.  Now, $15,000 grand per boat is pretty steep and that will come into play, but the way I see it, you get what you pay for, so if you're going to spend the money, spend the money.

My current list of technology that I use.  I put almost everything in this category, save rigging tools, and computers.  

NK Stroke Coach - Pretty simple, and straightforward.

Apps - I have several apps on my iPod that I use.  They make life much easier, especially when crunching numbers.

1.  Splits - Allows you to calculate splits, times, distances, etc. by setting distances, times, or splits.  I can't list the number of ways I use this app. 

2.  Time:calc - I am not great with math especially when it comes to figuring time.  This app allows you to add or subtract time quickly and accurately.  Can you do this on Excel?  Yes.  Is it easier to pull out the iPod rather than fire up the laptop in the middle of the launch?  Absolutely.

3.  Units - Quick way to convert units of measurement, weight, etc. 

NK Speed Coach XL3 or 4 - I don't own one of these - yet - but I've used them and I love them.  I like the more expensive set because they transmit live data which I prefer, but I think in general the Speed Coach units are awesome regardless of whether it's the base XL or XL4.  I used to use a handheld GPS unit, but I grew frustrated with this setup because it only gave me distance, not boat speed, rate, times, etc.  Those are pieces of data that my coxswain can call out, but when we're doing race pieces or seat race/time trial, I want my coxswains focusing on coxing, not giving me data, which is what the Speed Coach does.

High Speed Camera - I use video, and I like it a lot, but I prefer cameras and photos.  The reason I prefer this is because with the correct camera, I can get a series of high speed pictures detailing almost every second of a stroke.  I find that the zoom features on a camera are superior to that of a video camera, photos take up less memory than video, and are easier to quickly edit and send to athletes.

Video Camera - I break video and photo down like this.  If I want to work on an individual, I am more likely to use the high speed camera because I can get in close without getting my coaching launch right up against the boat.  If I am looking to show catch timing, following, anything speed related, and anything involving more than one person, I use video.

That's the list.  It's what I use and I believe that it does fairly well.  My "I want that, and that, and that" list is three or four times as long. 

Comments

Popular Posts