That didn't last

I made it a grand total of 45 days without diving into anything work related before I started getting twitchy.  I'd done a few light things here and there, but I'd managed to stay away from the heavy lifting till now.  

I blame the holiday party I went to the other day.  It was a great party, and I got to see Susan and Tiff, and rub elbows with several coaches, including Bill Zack from Portland.  And that got the whole thing started.  I knew, surrounded by all of that, plus current and former rowers, that my self imposed exile/vacation was done.  

The 45 days away was good.  It cleared my head, it took the edge off a rather difficult fall season, and it wiped the slate clean.  I stayed away from doing mindless, meaningless, "work" which I tend to do, and instead focused on relaxing.  And it's helped.  The things I've been working through the last few days have been much more focused, and are actually things that will go toward helping the team this spring.  In the past I've worked simply because I love what I do, and I love work, but it was just work with little value.  This season, with that break, I'm feeling a lot better about what I've put together.  

So the imposed vacation, time away, detox was good, and needed, and is something that will have to come into play more often - this spring I'll do the same thing when the season ends.  But it's hard to resist something that you love, and I absolutely love what I do.  So here we go again.

Comments

Popular Posts