Home again, home again
The 2012 US Rowing Annual Convention is over, and I'm heading home with a lot of notes, a lot of things to think about, and a lot of pictures that need to be downloaded from the phone. A quick recap.
Wednesday - Ryan and I flew into Oklahoma City after a long flight from Portland. We were picked up by Jodi, the girlfriend of his friend Travis. We went out for a quick snack since none of us had eaten before heading to the hotel to relax a bit. We wandered around town a little exploring, and found a good coffee shop.
After Travis got off work, we headed over to the Devon Boathouse for a quick tour of the facilities - Devon, Chesapeake, and the finish tower - before checking in, and getting our coaching swag. Afterward we headed out on the town for food, and to meet another one of Ryan's friends.
Thursday - We got up early and started Day 1 of the Level III coaching certification class. We quickly learned that breakfast went quickly so the best thing to do was to grab something at the hotel. The highlight of the first day, for me at least, was getting to listen to Kevin Sauer, the head coach of the women's rowing program at the University of Virginia. We also heard from Bill Zack, from the University of Portland, and Mike Hughes from Navy.
Friday - Our second day of the Level III certification started with Mike Davenport from Washington College, and an unexpected bonus, for me at least, Sara Lopez from the University of Washington's Leadership in Athletics graduate program. I managed to meet a graduate assistant at Cal Berkeley who is going through this program who introduced me which was fantastic since it's the graduate program I'm looking to go to. We finished the day with our test - I passed - before talking with the vendors.
Saturday - We kicked off Saturday listening to a Biomechanics talk with a lot of famous rowing coaches, far too many to list here. I then attended another presentation from Kevin Sauer on land training before deciding that I'd kick myself if I didn't at least go attempt to meet and talk with him, which I was successful in doing. It was unbelievable standing there talking with him about training methods, and ideas.
The big highlight of the day was going out for a practice session with Mike Teti - where the picture is from. I don't know that I got a lot of information from him, though it really wasn't his doing. It was just amazing to be sitting there with this incredible rowing coach, watching him run a practice, and then explain his thinking behind the pieces that he was doing, why he chose to do those specific pieces, his thoughts regarding the finish, and the catch, etc. I think the most refreshing thing was finding out that he is exactly who he is in person. If you've ever seen the movie, "A Fine Balance," and watched and listened to him, you've met Mike Teti. I've heard that his coaching style can be a bit much for people, but I really got a kick out of it. He tells you exactly what he's thinking, and is very straight forward.
Ryan and I finished off the day hanging out with a few of his friends, going to see a movie, and then out on the town one final time.
All that brings us to today, Sunday, the final day of the conference. I got to meet Bryan Volpenhein, and chat with him briefly after a session. We had planned on me going out to observe a practice with his elite athletes, but they are draining the river, and taking out the coaching launches tomorrow so unfortunately this time around had to be a pass. Still it was fantastic being able to meet him, and talk with him, and I hope that he will be around next fall for the conference in Seattle.
So as my first convention comes to a close, I have to say that I am impressed. I realize that I did a lot of name dropping in this blog, but I do it for a reason. It's not to say, "oh look at who I met, and aren't you so impressed by that," but instead to say, these are the who's who of American Rowing, and not just American Rowing. I met several international coaches from Germany and Denmark, and of course our own Curtis Jordan, back from Australia. Anyhow, it's not about bragging. Instead it's, these are the big names in rowing, and they are flesh and blood, and human. It's very easy to get star struck, and believe me, I do. But these guys and gals are so down to Earth, and more than willing to talk with you, sharing their knowledge, share some great, and hilarious stories, and in general, represent their sport in one of the classiest manners ever. I haven't even mentioned seeing Mary Whipple, Volker Nolte, Kris Korzeniowski, and Pete Cipollone, amongst others.
In short, if you get the opportunity to come out to one of these, do it. I can't wait for Seattle.

Comments