Inventory

Amongst my many self assigned end of the year projects is helping inventory the equipment in the boat house. This is something that we didn't do last year and it really came back to kick us in the rear this year when it came to replacing parts and pieces. No one knew exactly what we had and by the time we figured out that we needed to replace something we were already into the spring season.

Doing an inventory on a boat house even one as small as ours is quite the undertaking. It needs to be meticulous especially when one of the motivating factors behind it happens to be your insurance company. It's also not for the faint of heart because most boat houses are full of interesting....things such as massive spiders, bugs and random things that suspiciously look like old cleaning rags that were piled up soaking wet and are now moldy. It's also daunting to open up our supply cabinets and realize that while they are only 6 feet tall, they are deep and that most of the items that have a home there are small and numerous. And since our boat house has open rafters which with the liberal application of plywood become a storage haven, it means climbing the racks, not necessarily a difficult task but definitely a dirty one and one that gets quite exciting when you're 3/4 of the way up and one of the local Willamette River Tours jetboat wakes slams into the the house. We should charge admission to something like that.

I knocked out the basic inventory today and submitted my spread sheet and am currently awaiting word on what else I might need to inventory. I'm really hoping that those cabinets aren't on the list. I forgot my micrometer at home.

*Just a side note, when did I become so bad with using Excel? It might be time to take a night class and brush up on some of the tricks that I used to know. I think creating the spread sheet the way I wanted it took almost as much time as the inventory.

** UPDATE **

So tonight I got the thumbs up for my work thus far and was handed the equipment lists from the city and our insurance agency. I've set myself up a rather daunting task/goal list and a very attainable yet quick deadline.

1. Re-organize the city list so it's not quite a cluster bomb.
2. Cross reference the insurance list and the city list. Attempt to locate certain items such as a portable radio charging station.
3. Cross reference those two lists - once they check out against each other - with my list.
4. Compile said lists onto a single spread sheet complete with serial numbers - difficult with two boats in Oakridge Tenn, competing at Junior Nationals but we'll make it work.
5. Inspect all current equipment for damage and condition. Compile a new list listing conditions of all existing equipment so we know what needs to be replaced and what we can afford to wait on.

Not terrible but being the person I am, I want it done now not later so I've given myself till Wednesday to get all of this accomplished.

Here we go!

Comments

Popular Posts