Personal growth
At the halfway point of the season I'm sitting down and looking back over the fall plan with a critical eye and looking toward spring. I've spent the last couple of weeks evaluating the practices that I did in the fall, citing improvements and areas that could use a little more thought. My overall opinion is that we are ahead of schedule and ahead of where the team was last year, however there is always room for improvement and after talking with the head coach I know where some improvements could be made including bringing back a part of practice we did last year that I did away with this year.
Outside the technical aspects, I've also been evaluating how I've handled this season and it's adversities. This season in general has been a much more half hazard season with the club in some flux due to changes at the top. This has had a trickle down effect on the coaches and some of the changes have been hard to take in stride but I believe that I've made great strides in this area. As with the practice pieces there is always room for improvements but I know I'm a lot happier with myself at this point this year than I was last year. This year has been a lot more roller coaster than last but after some serious soul searching and talking this summer, I feel like I've been able to keep things in better perspective.
I know one area that I would really like to improve is not mentally writing off kids based on what I'm seeing on the water or land. I need to remember that sometimes people don't take to rowing right away - I was one of them - and that if given time, help and patience, they might just surprise.
What I am pleased with and continue to work on is my ability to plan ahead and have things in order so it appears that I've got a handle on any situation. I say appears because there are times that I'm in complete conflict inside but outwardly it's cool and calm and well planned. This was something that I lacked at my previous coaching gig and have dedicated a lot of time to improving. Others have noticed and have made comments to that effect which only motivates me to work harder and continue to improve.
Outside the technical aspects, I've also been evaluating how I've handled this season and it's adversities. This season in general has been a much more half hazard season with the club in some flux due to changes at the top. This has had a trickle down effect on the coaches and some of the changes have been hard to take in stride but I believe that I've made great strides in this area. As with the practice pieces there is always room for improvements but I know I'm a lot happier with myself at this point this year than I was last year. This year has been a lot more roller coaster than last but after some serious soul searching and talking this summer, I feel like I've been able to keep things in better perspective.
I know one area that I would really like to improve is not mentally writing off kids based on what I'm seeing on the water or land. I need to remember that sometimes people don't take to rowing right away - I was one of them - and that if given time, help and patience, they might just surprise.
What I am pleased with and continue to work on is my ability to plan ahead and have things in order so it appears that I've got a handle on any situation. I say appears because there are times that I'm in complete conflict inside but outwardly it's cool and calm and well planned. This was something that I lacked at my previous coaching gig and have dedicated a lot of time to improving. Others have noticed and have made comments to that effect which only motivates me to work harder and continue to improve.

Comments