Drug testing

I'm going to forewarn you that this post will be as politically correct as I can make it, be without any accusations, and probably not say a bunch other than some general thoughts.

I'm also not going to post links to the Russian drug test results, test manipulation, etc. other than to say the IOC decided against banning the entire Russian Olympic team, but left the individual sport federations to determine whether or not to take action.  I'm not posting links because of how many articles there are, and because generally, the public know about this and the drug testing scandal in Russia.

Ok one opinion.  In other words, the IOC didn't do anything.

ESPN posted an interesting, but brief article on this, pointing out that what the IOC does is lend a lot of power to those who would seek to cheat, while making it clear that those who are whistleblowers probably won't receive the considerations they should for making a stand.

I have just finished reading an article by the World Rowing governing body, FISA, where they determined that six of the original 24 or so Russian Olympic rowers would be allowed to compete at Rio.  The rest, who have not tested positive in five years, will not be allowed to compete.  Here is a link to the complete article.

Where do I stand?

I'm personally torn.  I cannot fathom the disappointment and heartbreak those athletes must be experiencing at this point, to be banned from participating at Rio, AND for having tested negatively for five years.  I can only imagine the amount of work, and time they poured into chasing the ultimate high for the sport, a chance to represent your country at a global event, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

On the other hand, there is the guilt by association, and while that does seem to be a clear cutting label, this isn't the first time Russia has been found guilty of lax drug testing protocol, and in this case, state funded and encouraged doping.  When your federation comes up guilty, when the corruption is as widespread as it is, I don't know that there's a better solution than to wipe it out completely.

We see this in our sport all the time.  I don't know how many coaches I've seen punish entire boats because an athlete was late.  We cling to the mantra that, "we win together, we lose together," and in this case, that's somewhat applied here.

What lessons can we take away from here?  I'm not entirely sure.  I don't know that the IOC did the federations any favors by essentially ruling neutral.  They didn't like the findings, but they won't handle the punishment that the rest of the world seemed to be calling for:  A ban on the entire Russian Olympic team.

I struggle with this often when it comes to disciplining the team or a boat because of the actions of one individual.  Yes in rowing you literally win or lose as a team.  Rowing is a wonderful sport where one individual, outside of a single, cannot save a boat.  It takes at least one other person to cross the finish line first.  In this case, we are one unit, and therefore we should perform as a unit in every facet.
On the other hand, you look at the Russian rowers who did not test positive, but are banned from the games regardless.  We can discuss a clear cutting policy where we can wipe out or at least seriously damage the efforts of those who seek to cheat by banning everyone, but then we also clear cut everyone.  You are guilty simply by being part of the Russian Federation.  Is that truly fair?  Are we sending the lesson that we hope, or are we simply punishing or disciplining everyone in hopes that the damage caused is mitigated by the fact that the guilty party is punished along with the innocent?

It's an interesting question.

I do not believe in leaving boats on land because an athlete is late.  I find that to be more damaging across the board than it is corrective.  I prefer to discuss it with the athlete, and move on.  If it happens again, then the discipline happens with that individual whether they lose a seat, lose a race, or we begin to discuss their viability with the program.  I tend to lean toward consistent, but individual action unless the situation calls for otherwise.

Does the Russian scandal call for otherwise.  As I've said, it's hard to say.  I believe the bottomline is this.  No matter what the outcome, someone was going to end up paying for it.  The federations can't pretend it didn't happen because to do so would undermine their own policies, as well as the efforts of the other nations.  At the same time, it's difficult to point the finger at everyone and say that because of a few bad apples, or in this case, a bad system, everyone goes down.

Comments

Popular Posts