The Pit

The first full week of practice has come to an end - mostly - and it's been mostly productive.

This week was an, "off" week for the athletes so the practices were geared around recovery, or less intensive work.

Because of this, I had the novices working on technique with shortened practices on Thursday for a nutrition meeting, and this morning because of a last second scheduling conflict with the university.

Still that being said, it was productive, and the movement and work that I witnessed this morning was encouraging.  Last weekend we spent our day on the water - Sunday - on land covering boat basics, so this Sunday will be their first foray onto the water.

I've been very pleased with how the spring has started, and I've been given plenty of leeway from the head coach to run the practices how ever I would like.  I am a big proponent of speed through technique and technique through focus meaning that we cover technique and acquire a technical eye through repetition and by explaining the basics.  I believe it's important for the athletes to have a solid understanding of what is good technique that goes beyond simply regurgitating what the coxswain or coaches have said.  Recognize technique, self-correct, make mistakes and learn from them.

I learned this through experience.  I love working on technique, but admit that it can become mind-numbingly tedious.   Engaging the athletes, having them demonstrate their knowledge growth by having them explain what you're looking for helps ease that.

This Sunday also marks a day when Oregon State will be on the water with us.  We aren't running a joint practice, but we are going to be practicing at the same time.  It will be fun to watch them row.  It hasn't been all that long since I was last working with them - December 19th - but it will be fun none-the-less.

Comments

Popular Posts