Goodbye, hello
Well readers, the time has come.
Today I turned in my jacket, coaching polo, and bid farewell to Corvallis, and Oregon State.
Next stop: Eugene, and the University of Oregon rowing program, specifically the women's novice coach position.
Why the change? Finances. I loved working for Oregon State. They afforded me an opportunity to intern while I was in graduate school, and then were gracious enough to offer me the opportunity to continue as a volunteer. It was my first taste of coaching at the Division 1 level, and I loved it. I loved it even more coaching for a program that competed in the toughest rowing conference in the country bar none: The Pac-12.
The head coach allowed me to participate in as many activities as I wanted including sitting in on staff meetings, and watching how the recruiting process went - without actually recruiting at all since that's against NCAA rules. I was able to travel with the team to Clemson, Spokane, and then the 2015 Pac-12 Championships where the 3V8 I'd been working with finished 4th overall.
However, financially, volunteering was becoming difficult, and so I made the difficult decision to move on. I feel that the amount of time I was able to give to OSU while balancing working wasn't enough to remain an effective volunteer and while balancing both will still not be easy at Oregon, the fewer practice hours will create some much needed flexibility.
Today I turned in my jacket, coaching polo, and bid farewell to Corvallis, and Oregon State.
Next stop: Eugene, and the University of Oregon rowing program, specifically the women's novice coach position.
Why the change? Finances. I loved working for Oregon State. They afforded me an opportunity to intern while I was in graduate school, and then were gracious enough to offer me the opportunity to continue as a volunteer. It was my first taste of coaching at the Division 1 level, and I loved it. I loved it even more coaching for a program that competed in the toughest rowing conference in the country bar none: The Pac-12.
The head coach allowed me to participate in as many activities as I wanted including sitting in on staff meetings, and watching how the recruiting process went - without actually recruiting at all since that's against NCAA rules. I was able to travel with the team to Clemson, Spokane, and then the 2015 Pac-12 Championships where the 3V8 I'd been working with finished 4th overall.
However, financially, volunteering was becoming difficult, and so I made the difficult decision to move on. I feel that the amount of time I was able to give to OSU while balancing working wasn't enough to remain an effective volunteer and while balancing both will still not be easy at Oregon, the fewer practice hours will create some much needed flexibility.

Comments