Quick update

A quick update.

I've been for two weeks at this point, and have been working with the novice women.  I've introduced a few new concepts - dynamic stretching, tech vs. fitness days - and the team seems to be reacting well.

There has been an influx of new novices over the last three weeks so I've decided to push technical focus practices this week before we get back into the swing of the cycle next week.  This morning we focused on the release and moving up to the catch.  We will spend another day focusing on this, before transitioning to the drive phase, and then putting it all together.

This isn't the only time we will focus on the technique, but I'd like to have both phases introduced before we get back on the water this Sunday.

Yesterday was spent introducing the basic rowing terminology to the new athletes.  We practiced the usual drills - carrying the boat, boat into the water, oars in, oars out, etc. - before I had them run the whole thing on their own without any guidance.  The novices who were at practice picked it up well so I am hopeful that this Sunday will mean some solid water time.

Right now I've approached the season as more of a marathon, focusing on the big races toward the end of the year as our goal points, and then using the spring weeks leading to those races as long race prep.  It's a similar focus to what I've used in the past - I want the peaks to coincide with the bigger races - where the beginning of the season was used to find boat speed, and lineups, and results mattered less.

So far things are going well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things shake out this year.

Comments

Popular Posts