Who do you hate
One of the topics we've been discussing throughout the year, and particularly over this week, is the idea of hate.
Hate is almost always associated with negative. I do not truly believe that, however I find that hate is a waste of emotion, especially in sport. I get that there are teams and programs and coaches who, "hate" other teams and programs and coaches. I don't subscribe to it.
Let me back up for a second.
I don't believe in trash talk. I will not engage in it. I will not permit the athletes under my watch to engage in it, and I have jumped onto athletes who do. I find it classless. I believe that the more you talk, the more nervous you are, and the more you're trying to hide it. You're a rubber band coiled as tightly as possible and the slightest error will cause you to snap, and fall apart. I firmly believe that.
More than that, I believe that when you engage in trash talk, the other team, the other program, the other person is in your head. They are. They are camped out in your head. This doesn't mean you won't win. This doesn't mean you won't play well or compete. But I believe there is a better chance that you won't because you're focusing on something and someone you have no control over. You're wasting your time by spending time trying to disrupt their game, and the only real result is that you are disrupting yours.
Back to hate.
I do not hate other programs. I do not hate other coaches. There are programs and coaches I do not like, as there are coaches and programs who do not like me. But I do not hate.
I bring this up less because of class and more because I am preparing for an interview with a program that has rivals. And I am preparing to handle my first questions - assuming I get them - on how I will take on these rivals, end their winning streak against said program, and how I will inspire the program and athletes to greater glory.
I have been turning this thought over in my head throughout the day. I do not know exactly how I will answer the question because it is largely based on how it's phrased to me.
But I do know that the answer will not contain hate.
Hate is almost always associated with negative. I do not truly believe that, however I find that hate is a waste of emotion, especially in sport. I get that there are teams and programs and coaches who, "hate" other teams and programs and coaches. I don't subscribe to it.
Let me back up for a second.
I don't believe in trash talk. I will not engage in it. I will not permit the athletes under my watch to engage in it, and I have jumped onto athletes who do. I find it classless. I believe that the more you talk, the more nervous you are, and the more you're trying to hide it. You're a rubber band coiled as tightly as possible and the slightest error will cause you to snap, and fall apart. I firmly believe that.
More than that, I believe that when you engage in trash talk, the other team, the other program, the other person is in your head. They are. They are camped out in your head. This doesn't mean you won't win. This doesn't mean you won't play well or compete. But I believe there is a better chance that you won't because you're focusing on something and someone you have no control over. You're wasting your time by spending time trying to disrupt their game, and the only real result is that you are disrupting yours.
Back to hate.
I do not hate other programs. I do not hate other coaches. There are programs and coaches I do not like, as there are coaches and programs who do not like me. But I do not hate.
I bring this up less because of class and more because I am preparing for an interview with a program that has rivals. And I am preparing to handle my first questions - assuming I get them - on how I will take on these rivals, end their winning streak against said program, and how I will inspire the program and athletes to greater glory.
I have been turning this thought over in my head throughout the day. I do not know exactly how I will answer the question because it is largely based on how it's phrased to me.
But I do know that the answer will not contain hate.

Comments