A painful exit
I have been watching the Women's World Cup this summer when I can. I have been pleased with the results from the US women, and have been even more thrilled to see them discard the worn out 4-4-2, long ball to Wambach tactics, and move into the more fluid 4-2-3-1 formation with Wambach off the bench. The attack has been more precise, more fluid, the attacking mentality has been evident, and without getting too far ahead of myself, if they come out on the front foot again, I dare say we will have number 3 hanging up next to 1 and 2 Sunday evening.
Last night I watched the England vs. Japan game, and watched as an unheralded England went after Japan tooth and nail, only to lose in the most unfortunate matter on a last second own goal.
Heartbreaking.
Having watched that happen while I was playing, I can tell you that there are few instances in the world that can come close to matching how she must have felt as the ball bounced across the line. It was a brave display by England, and they thoroughly outplayed Japan who seemed to be taking it easy, and played as though the outcome were a formality.
Gutted for England, but they do get another chance against Germany in the 3rd place game.
Last night I watched the England vs. Japan game, and watched as an unheralded England went after Japan tooth and nail, only to lose in the most unfortunate matter on a last second own goal.
Heartbreaking.
Having watched that happen while I was playing, I can tell you that there are few instances in the world that can come close to matching how she must have felt as the ball bounced across the line. It was a brave display by England, and they thoroughly outplayed Japan who seemed to be taking it easy, and played as though the outcome were a formality.
Gutted for England, but they do get another chance against Germany in the 3rd place game.

Comments