Two weeks
Today, while I was avoiding catching up on a last bit of homework for the week, I wandered around downtown Corvallis, checking out the happenings on a sunny Sunday.
First, downtown Corvallis on a Sunday leaves much to be desired. Unless you're in the mood to stand in line for breakfast - and usually I skip it and head for a greasy spoon down the road because I believe all Sunday breakfasts are better this way - there's not much open.
One store was open today, Peak Sports, where I decided to drop the plastic on this number. Did you know there are companies out there who make tents that can go on top of said rail system? Expensive to say the least. I debated this purchase with a friend later in the afternoon, and came to the conclusion that this could be a future purchase for the simple reason that I seem to have run out of spare time, and so the camping trips of old - when I was a kid - where hiking in a day or two and then having the run of the place, may not be in the future for a while.
Truly it seems these days that if you're not coaching, you're recruiting, and if you're not recruiting, then you're in a meeting, or preparing for the next season. About the only time I find myself having any time to kick back is in winter, and winter camping in the NW is not for the faint of heart. I get plenty of outdoor wintery weather coaching, so spending a long week in it is out of the question.
There are two weeks left in our season. We recently finished a tri-meet with UCLA, and WSU. Unfortunately the races did not go our way. We will push the next two weeks, and see how things shake out at Pac-12s in Sacramento.
As the season comes to a close, I find myself full of mixed emotions. This month...well it's been a trying month. Things happen, you adapt, and overcome and you move on because the season rolls on whether you like it or not. I came into this internship with the goal of learning as much as I possibly could, get some experience working and coaching at a Division 1 program, and then move on.
Now I find myself looking for jobs, wondering what the next four months will bring, and wondering where the time went. I had no intension of growing any attachment to the athletes, but as usually happens, the season is long, the experiences are exceptional, and as the weeks grow short, I find myself wishing we had a few more months. The athletes I've gotten to know are some of the most incredible people I've had the privilege of working with, and I've been given opportunities that I could not have imagined a few short months ago. I feel more prepared than ever to coach, and for the first time in my career, I feel as though I may be ready, truly ready for the big chair.
And yet, with 14 days plus change left, I am wishing that I could find a way back here next year, to spend another year with the athletes, and coaches, to wear Orange and Black a little longer.
First, downtown Corvallis on a Sunday leaves much to be desired. Unless you're in the mood to stand in line for breakfast - and usually I skip it and head for a greasy spoon down the road because I believe all Sunday breakfasts are better this way - there's not much open.
One store was open today, Peak Sports, where I decided to drop the plastic on this number. Did you know there are companies out there who make tents that can go on top of said rail system? Expensive to say the least. I debated this purchase with a friend later in the afternoon, and came to the conclusion that this could be a future purchase for the simple reason that I seem to have run out of spare time, and so the camping trips of old - when I was a kid - where hiking in a day or two and then having the run of the place, may not be in the future for a while.
Truly it seems these days that if you're not coaching, you're recruiting, and if you're not recruiting, then you're in a meeting, or preparing for the next season. About the only time I find myself having any time to kick back is in winter, and winter camping in the NW is not for the faint of heart. I get plenty of outdoor wintery weather coaching, so spending a long week in it is out of the question.
There are two weeks left in our season. We recently finished a tri-meet with UCLA, and WSU. Unfortunately the races did not go our way. We will push the next two weeks, and see how things shake out at Pac-12s in Sacramento.
As the season comes to a close, I find myself full of mixed emotions. This month...well it's been a trying month. Things happen, you adapt, and overcome and you move on because the season rolls on whether you like it or not. I came into this internship with the goal of learning as much as I possibly could, get some experience working and coaching at a Division 1 program, and then move on.
Now I find myself looking for jobs, wondering what the next four months will bring, and wondering where the time went. I had no intension of growing any attachment to the athletes, but as usually happens, the season is long, the experiences are exceptional, and as the weeks grow short, I find myself wishing we had a few more months. The athletes I've gotten to know are some of the most incredible people I've had the privilege of working with, and I've been given opportunities that I could not have imagined a few short months ago. I feel more prepared than ever to coach, and for the first time in my career, I feel as though I may be ready, truly ready for the big chair.
And yet, with 14 days plus change left, I am wishing that I could find a way back here next year, to spend another year with the athletes, and coaches, to wear Orange and Black a little longer.

Comments