Quick catch up
It's been a bit quiet on the blog front due to the hectic start of the spring season. Here's a quick recap.
Start of classes for the quarter. I'm taking an Information and Technology and an Accounting class. I'm not thrilled about either one, but I am very appreciative that the workload looks to be a bit easier than last quarter. This is important with our spring schedule getting into the swing of things around the time of finals for the quarter.
Staff meetings. I'm now attending staff meetings each Wednesday. I'm excited about this development. I did not feel as though I were in the dark prior to this, but I now feel more part of the coaching staff than I did before.
Recruiting efforts. As a volunteer I am not allowed to recruit athletes. However, I have been able to watch the recruiting efforts that are going on, and get an idea of what college recruitment is like at a big program. There was a discussion about identifying athletes for a class that won't be ready to come to the program for another 2 years at this point in the last meeting. This is a far cry from when I was at Willamette where I was simply scheduling a year out.
Coaching. I've done a fair amount of coaching while interning here, something I appreciate. I'm not making practice plans, but I have been given some leeway in terms of how I want to implement the practice.
And finally, coxswain training. This spring I'll be working with the coxswains, both experienced and walk-ons, and working to establish a standard coxswain training program, as well as make the current coxswains strong through the collaborative effort.
It looks to be a very busy spring.
Start of classes for the quarter. I'm taking an Information and Technology and an Accounting class. I'm not thrilled about either one, but I am very appreciative that the workload looks to be a bit easier than last quarter. This is important with our spring schedule getting into the swing of things around the time of finals for the quarter.
Staff meetings. I'm now attending staff meetings each Wednesday. I'm excited about this development. I did not feel as though I were in the dark prior to this, but I now feel more part of the coaching staff than I did before.
Recruiting efforts. As a volunteer I am not allowed to recruit athletes. However, I have been able to watch the recruiting efforts that are going on, and get an idea of what college recruitment is like at a big program. There was a discussion about identifying athletes for a class that won't be ready to come to the program for another 2 years at this point in the last meeting. This is a far cry from when I was at Willamette where I was simply scheduling a year out.
Coaching. I've done a fair amount of coaching while interning here, something I appreciate. I'm not making practice plans, but I have been given some leeway in terms of how I want to implement the practice.
And finally, coxswain training. This spring I'll be working with the coxswains, both experienced and walk-ons, and working to establish a standard coxswain training program, as well as make the current coxswains strong through the collaborative effort.
It looks to be a very busy spring.

Comments