If the shoe fits...

I struggle each year with the type of footwear to use in coaching.  

When I started coaching, I tried the "one size fits all" approach where I bough low cut hiking shoes that were waterproof.  The idea was that they were comfortable enough to wear all day, low cut and light enough to go running in - sprinting around at a regatta in case things hit the fan - and waterproof enough that I could go slogging in minor puddles and mud without too much concern.  

The problem is that "one size fits all," doesn't really work because weather is unpredictable, and a week of bad weather means your shoes are taking a beating without a break.  And the waterproofing is utterly useless when you're slogging in typical Northwest weather.  

Currently I run with two types of shoes.  I have two types of boots, and two pairs of tennis shoes.  

I have a cold weather pair of boots, and a standard weather pair of boots.  Both are waterproof up to the middle of my shin, which means I can slog around in pretty much any sort of weather without much concern.

The drawback with boots is safety in the launch.  I don't know if you've ever gone swimming with a pair of heavy boots on your feet, but I can tell you, it's not as fun as it sounds.  I never lace up my boots when I'm in the launch so that were I to fall out, I could quickly kick them off.  Losing a pair of $200 dollar boots is preferable to going down with them.


Standard.  My own real concern when it comes to buying the shoes is the sole.  I want to be able to walk through a hardwood gym without causing the janitor a heart attack.  I usually go with a light running shoe.  While they don't provide the same support as the heavier trail runners or cross trainers, they are wonderful when you're moving around quickly at an all day regatta like WIRAs or regional championships.  

I'm also a fan of crazy colors and crazy color shoe laces.  Each year I like to buy a pair of shoe laces that match the program color, or wear a pair of racing checkered laces.  I don't go for loud apparel from top to bottom so I usually rely on my shoes to show a little personality.  


This is a throwback to my "one size fits all" days, and my new favorite.  They are great when it's raining outside, but it's not a boot day, but it's too much for tennis shoes.  They are also great for grassy areas, or quick movement because they are light, but still retain enough bite on the sole to take confident steps in wet grass.   

These Salomon shoes are my latest investment and while I've only had them for a week, I love them.  Easy to slip on and off, waterproof for those days like this week when it's kind of raining, but not really raining, but there's water in the bottom of the launch and the dock is wet and slippery.  


Comments

Popular Posts