Winter camp
Winter training camp begins tomorrow, and not a moment too soon. I've been out of a coaching launch for the last two weeks, and I'm beginning to go stir crazy.
It's rather silly when you consider that the last winter break I had was 105 days in length, and I'm going stir crazy after 13 days. Perspective shift. I haven't ruled out going back to DIII after this internship, but the transition will not be fun.
Winter camp will be a good opportunity to see the athletes before they head out for Christmas break. I've got differing opinions on the timing of the break. On one hand, I think this is a perfect time to do it. The athletes have been off for two weeks for dead week, and final exams, and now is a great time to get in some training before they head out. There is a chance that some haven't been up on their fitness, so this will be a good boost/reminder for them. On the other hand, it would be nice to give them a set break, and transition into spring with a week of winter training. They would get roughly four weeks away from the team and program, and get a good chance to recharge. The one hang up with that would be getting them back on campus in time to squeeze in the camp before we start up on January 5th. That would mean leaving immediately after Christmas which is a big bummer for those who are traveling.
This will be my first winter training camp, and I am looking forward to it. I don't want to jinx it, but the weather right now is perfect - crisp, cool, but nothing insane - and the river is rowable, always fantastic news. And we're heading down to Eugene to hit Dexter for a few rows which means lots and lots of water and volume. I'm also happen to see that the week is reasonable with the amount of work schedule. There are some more difficult practices, but for the most part it's LSD - long slow distance.
That sets up the next week, and then it's Christmas break before the meat of the season.
It's rather silly when you consider that the last winter break I had was 105 days in length, and I'm going stir crazy after 13 days. Perspective shift. I haven't ruled out going back to DIII after this internship, but the transition will not be fun.
Winter camp will be a good opportunity to see the athletes before they head out for Christmas break. I've got differing opinions on the timing of the break. On one hand, I think this is a perfect time to do it. The athletes have been off for two weeks for dead week, and final exams, and now is a great time to get in some training before they head out. There is a chance that some haven't been up on their fitness, so this will be a good boost/reminder for them. On the other hand, it would be nice to give them a set break, and transition into spring with a week of winter training. They would get roughly four weeks away from the team and program, and get a good chance to recharge. The one hang up with that would be getting them back on campus in time to squeeze in the camp before we start up on January 5th. That would mean leaving immediately after Christmas which is a big bummer for those who are traveling.
This will be my first winter training camp, and I am looking forward to it. I don't want to jinx it, but the weather right now is perfect - crisp, cool, but nothing insane - and the river is rowable, always fantastic news. And we're heading down to Eugene to hit Dexter for a few rows which means lots and lots of water and volume. I'm also happen to see that the week is reasonable with the amount of work schedule. There are some more difficult practices, but for the most part it's LSD - long slow distance.
That sets up the next week, and then it's Christmas break before the meat of the season.

Comments