Normal hours
Today marked the end of the 20 hour practice weeks. Monday begins the dreaded 8 hours of practice for the next six weeks.
I am torn over this. On one hand I feel that 8 is a bit bare bones. On the other hand, I had zero hours from mid November to the first week of February while working Division III - something I completely disagree with - so I am glad we get some hands on.
Truly, I don't understand the time away or the cutting back of hours. I don't believe it's for the benefit of the student athlete in any way other than getting some down time. In a sport such as rowing where our main competitive season is still several months away, I believe the down time increases the chance of injury occurrence. Students who are used to being monitored during their workouts, are now free to conduct them on their own without the supervision of a trained or experienced coach. In my years of coaching, the time I've seen the most injuries occur coincides with the ending of a break - summer or winter.
However, that is my own soap box.
Today we celebrated the ending of the fall season with the Orange and Black regatta, a race involving both the men's and women's programs. The athletes were divided into two teams, and then raced their opposite number over roughly 4.5k of water. Points were awarded with the winners earning double the second place boat, and the cumulative score in the end determined the overall winner. Not knowing the history of this race, it appears that Team Black seems to run dominate, and today was no different. While the points total was close, Team Black came out on top again, much to the delight of its members who celebrated with a large inflatable pool toy named Fernando - Fernando happens to be an Orca.
Next week will be an interesting week. The shorter hours begin, and I'll be missing in action for a majority of the days. I'm heading to Seattle on Tuesday to go for two ride alongs with Seattle University, and then hopefully one with Washington. I haven't heard back yet so I might swing by the boathouse on Tuesday and inquire about the possibility.
Some time in the next 24 hours we should get the schedule for the next six weeks which will include an 8 day winter break training camp.
And on another note, I am in need of a new Mead composition book. As I posted earlier, it usually takes me a full year to exhaust one of these, and often I am just a bit short. I've completely filled one comp book this fall alone, and have already started on a second book. These books make great coaching journals, though I do complain about the spine - it's hard to keep a label on there without a lot of tape. This year I thought ahead and got some Pocock stickers which will be exclusive to these books, thus eliminating the need for my traditional labeling system. Right now I'm betting that it takes me 3.5 of these books to get through the entire year.
I am torn over this. On one hand I feel that 8 is a bit bare bones. On the other hand, I had zero hours from mid November to the first week of February while working Division III - something I completely disagree with - so I am glad we get some hands on.
Truly, I don't understand the time away or the cutting back of hours. I don't believe it's for the benefit of the student athlete in any way other than getting some down time. In a sport such as rowing where our main competitive season is still several months away, I believe the down time increases the chance of injury occurrence. Students who are used to being monitored during their workouts, are now free to conduct them on their own without the supervision of a trained or experienced coach. In my years of coaching, the time I've seen the most injuries occur coincides with the ending of a break - summer or winter.
However, that is my own soap box.
Today we celebrated the ending of the fall season with the Orange and Black regatta, a race involving both the men's and women's programs. The athletes were divided into two teams, and then raced their opposite number over roughly 4.5k of water. Points were awarded with the winners earning double the second place boat, and the cumulative score in the end determined the overall winner. Not knowing the history of this race, it appears that Team Black seems to run dominate, and today was no different. While the points total was close, Team Black came out on top again, much to the delight of its members who celebrated with a large inflatable pool toy named Fernando - Fernando happens to be an Orca.
Next week will be an interesting week. The shorter hours begin, and I'll be missing in action for a majority of the days. I'm heading to Seattle on Tuesday to go for two ride alongs with Seattle University, and then hopefully one with Washington. I haven't heard back yet so I might swing by the boathouse on Tuesday and inquire about the possibility.
Some time in the next 24 hours we should get the schedule for the next six weeks which will include an 8 day winter break training camp.
And on another note, I am in need of a new Mead composition book. As I posted earlier, it usually takes me a full year to exhaust one of these, and often I am just a bit short. I've completely filled one comp book this fall alone, and have already started on a second book. These books make great coaching journals, though I do complain about the spine - it's hard to keep a label on there without a lot of tape. This year I thought ahead and got some Pocock stickers which will be exclusive to these books, thus eliminating the need for my traditional labeling system. Right now I'm betting that it takes me 3.5 of these books to get through the entire year.

Comments