Seat racing theory
I've got a few minutes to jot down some thoughts on an article I just read before heading out the door for a fall training camp. I am hoping that the rain pouring down outside abates, but I don't know that we'll be that fortunate.
Here's the link to the article on seat racing, and perhaps a new way to select boats.
I dislike seat racing for a number of reasons. I've only once been fortunate enough to have a venue where I had a full 2k course that was very accurate where two boats could race side by side. I dislike the time constraints that I'm under because regardless of how efficient I am on the water and with switches, there always seems to be a time crunch. Weather can be a real struggle in the northwest, as are conditions.
I have other reasons, but I've listed my chief reasons why I dislike it. You'll note that no where in that short list is the word, "athletes." They can add a lot of...intrigue to the process.
I believe that I've addressed this issue before, but for a refresher, I begin looking at lineups in the fall. I start taking down notes and fiddling with names roughly half way through the fall. I set nothing in stone, and I don't even put them into my computer - they are in my coaching journal - because I know that they will change. Athletes will quit, new ones will come on board, some will peak early and some late, etc. But I have a rough idea going into winter on my lineups.
I start collecting data in the fall. Data for me is anything I write down which goes beyond the scope of tests or pieces. I also look at attendance, attitude, grades and classwork, chemistry within the team, basically I look at many different things. I tell my athletes that I'm constantly evaluating them. Some may not agree with that, but I want my athletes to know that they are being observed. I look at it like this: If you're working hard, and doing the right things, you shouldn't be worried. If you are worried, then you need to schedule some time with me and the coaching staff as well as address your own behaviors and efforts. So in general, I don't believe that them understanding that everything they do is being evaluated, is a bad thing.
This data, and by looking at lineups early, gives me time to start the evaluating process early. This helps eliminate the time crunch - usually. This also gives me time to experiment, test, retest, and experiment again without fear of running up against race deadlines. I also believe that by starting early, I get a more complete picture of the athlete rather than a snap shot on the water.
Unfortunately I am out of time, but I agree with Coach Biller that seat racing isn't necessarily the best way to find the best lineups. And I agree that making that change takes time since seat racing is so ingrained into rowing whether it's college, juniors, or masters.
I don't know if the way that I build boats is the best, and it probably isn't. But I do know that the boats I've built in the last four years have been the best lineups possible given the team, and I haven't seat raced in those four years.
Am I onto something? We'll see.
Here's the link to the article on seat racing, and perhaps a new way to select boats.
I dislike seat racing for a number of reasons. I've only once been fortunate enough to have a venue where I had a full 2k course that was very accurate where two boats could race side by side. I dislike the time constraints that I'm under because regardless of how efficient I am on the water and with switches, there always seems to be a time crunch. Weather can be a real struggle in the northwest, as are conditions.
I have other reasons, but I've listed my chief reasons why I dislike it. You'll note that no where in that short list is the word, "athletes." They can add a lot of...intrigue to the process.
I believe that I've addressed this issue before, but for a refresher, I begin looking at lineups in the fall. I start taking down notes and fiddling with names roughly half way through the fall. I set nothing in stone, and I don't even put them into my computer - they are in my coaching journal - because I know that they will change. Athletes will quit, new ones will come on board, some will peak early and some late, etc. But I have a rough idea going into winter on my lineups.
I start collecting data in the fall. Data for me is anything I write down which goes beyond the scope of tests or pieces. I also look at attendance, attitude, grades and classwork, chemistry within the team, basically I look at many different things. I tell my athletes that I'm constantly evaluating them. Some may not agree with that, but I want my athletes to know that they are being observed. I look at it like this: If you're working hard, and doing the right things, you shouldn't be worried. If you are worried, then you need to schedule some time with me and the coaching staff as well as address your own behaviors and efforts. So in general, I don't believe that them understanding that everything they do is being evaluated, is a bad thing.
This data, and by looking at lineups early, gives me time to start the evaluating process early. This helps eliminate the time crunch - usually. This also gives me time to experiment, test, retest, and experiment again without fear of running up against race deadlines. I also believe that by starting early, I get a more complete picture of the athlete rather than a snap shot on the water.
Unfortunately I am out of time, but I agree with Coach Biller that seat racing isn't necessarily the best way to find the best lineups. And I agree that making that change takes time since seat racing is so ingrained into rowing whether it's college, juniors, or masters.
I don't know if the way that I build boats is the best, and it probably isn't. But I do know that the boats I've built in the last four years have been the best lineups possible given the team, and I haven't seat raced in those four years.
Am I onto something? We'll see.

Comments