Resupply
I realize that I've gotten away from the rowing inspired posts, and have been hitting the graduate school posts with alarming regularity. Unfortunately I haven't had much to discuss when it comes to rowing, and an over abundance of topics with school.
To get back to the topics at hand, I thought that I would share a couple of apps that I was told about while in school. These are two apps used by a few of the coaches who have found them extremely helpful when recruiting and when addressing issues on their team.
The first app is "GroupMe." This app is a text/chat app that allows you to text a large group of individuals outside of the standard text message app. You can create various groups you want to text without having to constantly create new message groups in your standard texting app. This app is free from iTunes, and I believe free from the Android store and will allow both types of users to communicate without issue so long as they have the app on their phone. We are currently using this for the graduate school cohort to get messages to everyone quickly, but one of the coaches I spoke with uses this to text his team and send out information without wondering if everyone received the message.
The second app is called "Ubersense." It is similar to "Coach's Eye"where you can record video of a specific player and give them feedback. I haven't played around with this app, but the difference between the two is supposed to be quite noticeable. The biggest boost on "Ubersense" is that you can voice record on the video so the athlete can view the segment when your voice telling them what they did right and what they can improve upon.
One app that I downloaded before I left for Seattle is "Yoga Studio." Nearly every coach I've spoken with uses yoga these days to improve core strength and flexibility. Few of the coaches I've spoken with understand yoga beyond the basic concept. What I like about this app is that I can choose what sort of program or stretches I think we need, and then can use the app to help run a routine. It also divides the exercises into beginner, intermediate and advanced so as we get fitter and stronger, we can move up and down.
Finally, but certainly not least, I invested in an iPad. I chose the mini for storage and carrying ease, but I was tempted to get the standard size. I take a lot of video on the fly where I don't have access to a video camera, and where I want to show the athlete instantly what I'm looking at rather than taking the film home and uploading it. I decided that the phone was too small to use for feedback so I upgraded to the mini. This will allow me to do some quick editing with the video, and has a large enough screen that the athlete can see what I'm talking about without us huddling over the 3.5 inch screen on my phone. I've also found the tablet easier to take notes on rather than using the phone. I don't believe you need a tablet, but I am happy that I decided to snag one while it was on sale - I bought a refurbished one.
To get back to the topics at hand, I thought that I would share a couple of apps that I was told about while in school. These are two apps used by a few of the coaches who have found them extremely helpful when recruiting and when addressing issues on their team.
The first app is "GroupMe." This app is a text/chat app that allows you to text a large group of individuals outside of the standard text message app. You can create various groups you want to text without having to constantly create new message groups in your standard texting app. This app is free from iTunes, and I believe free from the Android store and will allow both types of users to communicate without issue so long as they have the app on their phone. We are currently using this for the graduate school cohort to get messages to everyone quickly, but one of the coaches I spoke with uses this to text his team and send out information without wondering if everyone received the message.
The second app is called "Ubersense." It is similar to "Coach's Eye"where you can record video of a specific player and give them feedback. I haven't played around with this app, but the difference between the two is supposed to be quite noticeable. The biggest boost on "Ubersense" is that you can voice record on the video so the athlete can view the segment when your voice telling them what they did right and what they can improve upon.
One app that I downloaded before I left for Seattle is "Yoga Studio." Nearly every coach I've spoken with uses yoga these days to improve core strength and flexibility. Few of the coaches I've spoken with understand yoga beyond the basic concept. What I like about this app is that I can choose what sort of program or stretches I think we need, and then can use the app to help run a routine. It also divides the exercises into beginner, intermediate and advanced so as we get fitter and stronger, we can move up and down.
Finally, but certainly not least, I invested in an iPad. I chose the mini for storage and carrying ease, but I was tempted to get the standard size. I take a lot of video on the fly where I don't have access to a video camera, and where I want to show the athlete instantly what I'm looking at rather than taking the film home and uploading it. I decided that the phone was too small to use for feedback so I upgraded to the mini. This will allow me to do some quick editing with the video, and has a large enough screen that the athlete can see what I'm talking about without us huddling over the 3.5 inch screen on my phone. I've also found the tablet easier to take notes on rather than using the phone. I don't believe you need a tablet, but I am happy that I decided to snag one while it was on sale - I bought a refurbished one.
Comments