3 of 48
Thus the first week of graduate school ends with a bang. Literally too since today is the 4th of July, my favorite holiday, and a perfect ending for the first week. It's been a pretty great week in class getting to know everyone, learning how each other works and thinks, and generally learning to network in a different setting. Any differences that we have or experience are made up by the fact that we're all in this together, and that everyone is going to feel the pinch of the work at one point or another.
My first, "What the **** am I doing," moment came on Monday, three days into the week. What was I doing? The amount of homework isn't really an issue; it's the depth that you have to reach in order to hit the talking points that are discussed in class. Monday was also a painful reminder of how long it's been since I sat in a classroom, having to think on the fly, discuss topics, and generally make myself live up to the expectations both the professors and I have for myself.
After a few minutes of quiet reflection, I realized that there really isn't any turning back at this point. Of course I could opt out, come back for another swing another summer, but how likely am I to actually follow through on that? I could opt for a different school, but this is the program that I've wanted to attend since first doing the research, something that was firmed up when in Oklahoma City.
Thankfully Tuesday morning hammered home the realization that I've made the correct decision in coming to UW. There wasn't anything special done that day; it was simply an "ah ha" moment halfway through the morning session. It just clicked for me, and I realized that this was where I belonged.
That being said, this weekend is a welcomed three day break. We do have homework but it's limited to a couple of short written pieces, and then reading, neither of which are that daunting. You learn quickly, especially when you're completing classes inside of 5 days, that if you stay on top of your work, if you absorb the lessons being taught and actually reflect on them, listen to your classmates, and learn new perspectives, in short if you dive head first without hesitation and are prepared to swim as hard as you can, it's really not so bad. As I said, everyone is experiencing what you're going through, and more, everyone is there to help pull you along if need be.
So one week down, three weeks left to go, and then a year long internship before returning for three more weeks.
Game on.
My first, "What the **** am I doing," moment came on Monday, three days into the week. What was I doing? The amount of homework isn't really an issue; it's the depth that you have to reach in order to hit the talking points that are discussed in class. Monday was also a painful reminder of how long it's been since I sat in a classroom, having to think on the fly, discuss topics, and generally make myself live up to the expectations both the professors and I have for myself.
After a few minutes of quiet reflection, I realized that there really isn't any turning back at this point. Of course I could opt out, come back for another swing another summer, but how likely am I to actually follow through on that? I could opt for a different school, but this is the program that I've wanted to attend since first doing the research, something that was firmed up when in Oklahoma City.
Thankfully Tuesday morning hammered home the realization that I've made the correct decision in coming to UW. There wasn't anything special done that day; it was simply an "ah ha" moment halfway through the morning session. It just clicked for me, and I realized that this was where I belonged.
That being said, this weekend is a welcomed three day break. We do have homework but it's limited to a couple of short written pieces, and then reading, neither of which are that daunting. You learn quickly, especially when you're completing classes inside of 5 days, that if you stay on top of your work, if you absorb the lessons being taught and actually reflect on them, listen to your classmates, and learn new perspectives, in short if you dive head first without hesitation and are prepared to swim as hard as you can, it's really not so bad. As I said, everyone is experiencing what you're going through, and more, everyone is there to help pull you along if need be.
So one week down, three weeks left to go, and then a year long internship before returning for three more weeks.
Game on.

Comments