30 second penalty
This week is a good example that even us coaches can have some difficultly following directions.
Yesterday I was geared up, ready to send in my grad school application. I was doing some last minute review of my goal statement, and just on a whim, decided to check the website to make sure I'd stayed on topic with my questions and answers. I wasn't going to do it because of all the checking and editing help that I've had, but I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry.
Thankfully I listened to my gut and checked the website because my goal statement was completely wrong. UW has divide their IAL program into two different tracks: Administration and Coaching. I was originally going to apply for the Administration side, but after talking with some of the faculty, it was decided that given my career goals, coaching would be a better place for me to be.
Well I knew all of that, and geared everything for my application toward that...except for my goal statement which I wrote and finished prior to the online discussion last month. And while everything I answered was solid - in my opinion - it in no way had anything to do with the questions being asked for the coaching track application.
Bacon saved. I'm not even upset that I have to re-write my goal statement because I could have easily just fired off my application, and then been in the rather embarrassing position of having crossed up my applications. I don't know if that's a deal breaker, but why put a mark on your application over a silly mistake?
I always preach this with my crews: Control what we can control, and eliminate the variables.
Looks like I need to study up on that lesson again.
Yesterday I was geared up, ready to send in my grad school application. I was doing some last minute review of my goal statement, and just on a whim, decided to check the website to make sure I'd stayed on topic with my questions and answers. I wasn't going to do it because of all the checking and editing help that I've had, but I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry.
Thankfully I listened to my gut and checked the website because my goal statement was completely wrong. UW has divide their IAL program into two different tracks: Administration and Coaching. I was originally going to apply for the Administration side, but after talking with some of the faculty, it was decided that given my career goals, coaching would be a better place for me to be.
Well I knew all of that, and geared everything for my application toward that...except for my goal statement which I wrote and finished prior to the online discussion last month. And while everything I answered was solid - in my opinion - it in no way had anything to do with the questions being asked for the coaching track application.
Bacon saved. I'm not even upset that I have to re-write my goal statement because I could have easily just fired off my application, and then been in the rather embarrassing position of having crossed up my applications. I don't know if that's a deal breaker, but why put a mark on your application over a silly mistake?
I always preach this with my crews: Control what we can control, and eliminate the variables.
Looks like I need to study up on that lesson again.

Comments