Making progress
It's hard to believe that we're into the second week of the spring season...
...And yet, I can tell you that there are days where I wish WIRAs was right around the corner, with only Conference Champs staring us in the face.
It's been an up and down start to the spring season. The men's 5k fitness test yielded some interesting - some good, some less than good - results, which left me scratching my head. The men's team took the first 2k of the season yesterday, once again leaving me unsure of how to feel. Comparing times isn't something that I recommend, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt a small victory after seeing an overall average improvement of 18 seconds. Still, to see that we're short of where I'd anticipated us to be - more on this in a few - did leave me scratching my head. Somewhere between the team generated goals, and this test, we lost something which will require some serious time in the books to figure out.
As for anticipated results, I've been wandering up and down the hall in Sparks poking my head into various offices and speaking with fellow coaches. We've covered everything from off season training, to fitness testing - there are some interesting ideas out there - to discipline, grades, etc.
It's eye opening talking with some coaches, and I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't say that I'd gotten a lot of good ideas, and ideas that will be useful once I figure out the rowing equivalent. I've also sorted through a lot of information on the internet - something I rarely do - and come up with some good ideas.
I'm not an internet person when it comes to training unless I recognize the type of training that is being discussed. I don't find it technically wrong per se, but it has to be said that I rarely buy into the results shown. And occasionally you come across something that just screams, "run away."
Maybe someone can explain this to me in a way that makes sense.
...And yet, I can tell you that there are days where I wish WIRAs was right around the corner, with only Conference Champs staring us in the face.
It's been an up and down start to the spring season. The men's 5k fitness test yielded some interesting - some good, some less than good - results, which left me scratching my head. The men's team took the first 2k of the season yesterday, once again leaving me unsure of how to feel. Comparing times isn't something that I recommend, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt a small victory after seeing an overall average improvement of 18 seconds. Still, to see that we're short of where I'd anticipated us to be - more on this in a few - did leave me scratching my head. Somewhere between the team generated goals, and this test, we lost something which will require some serious time in the books to figure out.
As for anticipated results, I've been wandering up and down the hall in Sparks poking my head into various offices and speaking with fellow coaches. We've covered everything from off season training, to fitness testing - there are some interesting ideas out there - to discipline, grades, etc.
It's eye opening talking with some coaches, and I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't say that I'd gotten a lot of good ideas, and ideas that will be useful once I figure out the rowing equivalent. I've also sorted through a lot of information on the internet - something I rarely do - and come up with some good ideas.
I'm not an internet person when it comes to training unless I recognize the type of training that is being discussed. I don't find it technically wrong per se, but it has to be said that I rarely buy into the results shown. And occasionally you come across something that just screams, "run away."
Maybe someone can explain this to me in a way that makes sense.


Comments