Turn about is fair play

I believe that we've all heard that line, "I hope you have a kid just like you," usually uttered by our mother while we tear ass around the house.  I can recall hearing that many, many times, whether it was the time I tried to use a bookcase as a ladder, or when I started putting nails into my bunk bed frame because I was "working."

In many ways I feel that coaches run this same route with their careers.  I've had many a conversation with an athlete over the last few years, and often I find myself uttering the phrase, "from this side of the desk."  I recall vividly, and fondly at times, being on the receiving end of some of those lectures.  I was by no means, a hellion, but I can recall my coaches being more than ticked off with me over certain actions, typically resulting from me being a smart-ass, or very cocky.  I think the one I got chewed out over the most was racing against several of our boats, and choosing to go shore side of a boat to pass in very shallow water.  I can recall knowing exactly what I was doing, and why I was doing it, but I do remember my coaches being less than thrilled.

And now I find myself from time to time sitting behind the desk, watching an athlete trudge in and flop down with a goofy smile across his or her face, and I have to remind myself that often, I was the very same way and that this probably life giving me my fair shake after occasionally causing my coaches heartache. 

Comments

Popular Posts