Competitiveness

I was watching the end of the BCS National Championship game, when I heard one of the commentators make a rather interesting statement.  I can't recall 100% of what was said, but he basically commented on how much he enjoyed watching Alabama play, and how even though they were up 42-14 at the time, they weren't backing down.  They were still rushing the passer, hustling on every play, and the coach, Nick Saban, was coaching as though he was down 14-42 rather than up.  

As I was watching this, I saw an even more interesting sequence when the Alabama QB and his center got into it over calling plays at the line.  They were both calling plays - from what I gather, it's both their responsibility at times - and because they weren't on the same page, they were hit with a delay of game penalty.  The QB got into it with the center, and the center gave his QB a shove.  All of this was happening while Alabama was leading 42-14.

What struck me was this quote, which I absolutely love.  

"You can't coach competitiveness."

I 100% agree.  Up by 28 points, in the fourth quarter with time most definitely on their side, Alabama was still playing hard.  They weren't dogging it on the plays, letting Notre Dame score at will to make the score "more respectable."   They were out there fighting as though the score were 0-0 in the first. 

Setting aside likes or dislikes, I as a coach, have to love teams like that.  Teams that will fight until the end of the game.  I love coaches who teach that to their teams, and demand it.

You can't coach competitiveness, but you can stand back and admire it when it's done to perfection. 

Comments

Popular Posts