Declined
If there's one part of job hunting that I truly hate, it's declining an offer.
I've only done it a few times, but each time I feel as though I'm letting down an entire program, that my decision indicates to them that I'm too good for their program. In short, I feel like a complete jackass over it, and no matter how I try and write the letter, it never feels solid.
It was so much easier when you had official stationary from the university and you could write the, "Thank you for applying, we've reviewed many quality candidates, at this time we're moving in a different direction."
Why have I declined, both now, and in the past?
Usually what it comes down to is something in the interview, or follow up interview that I don't necessarily like. Sometimes it's very easy, sometimes it's a gut feeling. Occasionally it's that there are other opportunities that I want to pursue more, and the timelines don't match up with one program wanting to know immediately, and another program moving a bit more methodically.
Isn't a bird in the hand, worth two in the bush?
Yes this is something that always goes through my head. What happens if I get shut out? Well I've been there before. It's never been as bad as it seems, though it does set you back. Last year was all about collegiate jobs only until the bitter end. Not an intelligent move on my part. This year I cast the net as wide as possible. While turning this down could be a poor move in the long run, I feel confident that this year I will have opportunities I didn't get last year because of my own limiting factors.
Why apply if you're going to decline?
I was asked this by a friend. I don't go into a job expecting to decline. I won't apply for jobs just for the laughs. That's a waste of their time, and a waste of mine, and ultimately I don't see it doing either party any good. I apply for jobs with the intention that if things fall into place, or I like what I'm hearing, that I could see myself taking the job.
This job I'm turning down I could easily see myself taking. It's a solid program. I've met the head coach, and they are a good person. The program is competitive, which is important to me, and they have a robust schedule, something I find rare amongst smaller programs. In truth, if this program offered a month from now, I might well take it.
So what are you looking for?
I'm ready to be a head coach. I feel confident enough that I could be a head coach at almost any collegiate program. There may be some with greater learning curves, but I feel solid enough about what I've learned both in grad school, and as a coach, and in my experience of building boats. I have a solid knowledge of recruiting, and have enough connections with junior programs that I know places I could start.
I've spent the last 13 years working under coaches, and with coaches. I've only ever had two mentors, but both were career changing. I desperately wish that I'd had more mentors - it's something I asked for at each program I was at, but never found - but since that's not the case, I feel that I'm ready to flip the switch and begin mentoring.
I feel strongly about what I've learned, and I feel ready to handle the building of a program. This is a new attitude, and one that you wouldn't have found as short as two or so years ago. The experience at Oregon, working with the HP Camp last summer, the coaches I've spoken with, my own ideas, and writing down training programs, I feel that I'm ready for that next step.
So that's where I am. The programs I'm looking at now are head coach/program director, or assistant coach at the D1 level. I feel ready for this step.
I've only done it a few times, but each time I feel as though I'm letting down an entire program, that my decision indicates to them that I'm too good for their program. In short, I feel like a complete jackass over it, and no matter how I try and write the letter, it never feels solid.
It was so much easier when you had official stationary from the university and you could write the, "Thank you for applying, we've reviewed many quality candidates, at this time we're moving in a different direction."
Why have I declined, both now, and in the past?
Usually what it comes down to is something in the interview, or follow up interview that I don't necessarily like. Sometimes it's very easy, sometimes it's a gut feeling. Occasionally it's that there are other opportunities that I want to pursue more, and the timelines don't match up with one program wanting to know immediately, and another program moving a bit more methodically.
Isn't a bird in the hand, worth two in the bush?
Yes this is something that always goes through my head. What happens if I get shut out? Well I've been there before. It's never been as bad as it seems, though it does set you back. Last year was all about collegiate jobs only until the bitter end. Not an intelligent move on my part. This year I cast the net as wide as possible. While turning this down could be a poor move in the long run, I feel confident that this year I will have opportunities I didn't get last year because of my own limiting factors.
Why apply if you're going to decline?
I was asked this by a friend. I don't go into a job expecting to decline. I won't apply for jobs just for the laughs. That's a waste of their time, and a waste of mine, and ultimately I don't see it doing either party any good. I apply for jobs with the intention that if things fall into place, or I like what I'm hearing, that I could see myself taking the job.
This job I'm turning down I could easily see myself taking. It's a solid program. I've met the head coach, and they are a good person. The program is competitive, which is important to me, and they have a robust schedule, something I find rare amongst smaller programs. In truth, if this program offered a month from now, I might well take it.
So what are you looking for?
I'm ready to be a head coach. I feel confident enough that I could be a head coach at almost any collegiate program. There may be some with greater learning curves, but I feel solid enough about what I've learned both in grad school, and as a coach, and in my experience of building boats. I have a solid knowledge of recruiting, and have enough connections with junior programs that I know places I could start.
I've spent the last 13 years working under coaches, and with coaches. I've only ever had two mentors, but both were career changing. I desperately wish that I'd had more mentors - it's something I asked for at each program I was at, but never found - but since that's not the case, I feel that I'm ready to flip the switch and begin mentoring.
I feel strongly about what I've learned, and I feel ready to handle the building of a program. This is a new attitude, and one that you wouldn't have found as short as two or so years ago. The experience at Oregon, working with the HP Camp last summer, the coaches I've spoken with, my own ideas, and writing down training programs, I feel that I'm ready for that next step.
So that's where I am. The programs I'm looking at now are head coach/program director, or assistant coach at the D1 level. I feel ready for this step.

Comments