Rolling right along

Hello loyal readers.

This year is rolling right along.  I find it difficult to believe that we're already well into November, with Christmas break, and the spring season right around the corner.

This week begins my second year of 8-hours, winter camp, and no coaching for a few weeks, and again I am incredibly thankful to be coaching with a Division 1 program, and not Division III.  I enjoy Division III, but I do not miss the November to February hiatus from the athletes.

So where are things sitting right now?  Things remain fluid.  The walkons are progressing, faster in some respects compared to last year, and slower as well.  The fitness is probably better, and the retention has been markedly improved, however they are still extremely tentative and timid on the water.  We've only recently been able to get them to start applying the same pressure in the boats as they do on the ergs.  It's been an interesting change from last year, and a bit frustrating.

Technically I believe they are roughly on par with how the boats were rowing last year.  I believe they are a bit more rough going all eight, but that's due to their being timid in placing the catch - too concerned about a perfect placement rather than simply placing the blade.  However, they do move well, and are able to move from the release to the catch placement while stationary, something that we struggled with for a while last year.

As with every class, and every crew, some days we're ahead, some days we're behind.  It's one of the fun parts of being a walkon/novice coach.

As a personal note, I do not like the word, "walkon."  I prefer novice because of the perceived labels.  You are only a novice for a single year, but you are forever a walkon.  Yes, walking on may have been your introduction to the sport, and this team, but once you are on the team, you are part of the time.  I would simply prefer to refer to the newest athletes as novices so that they can transition to varsity without the additional label of, "walkon."  That's simply my personal opinion on the matter.

With that said, winter has returned to the Northwest with some authority.  The house has been rocking in the winds, and I refuse to believe it's a calm, "25 mph" outside when it feels as though the doors might be blown off.  These are the days that I'm glad to be on land rather than struggling against the wind and the current.  There are times that these days are awesome on the water, but when the focus needs to still be technical, it can be challenging to work the nuances when you're being buffeted down the river.

Comments

Popular Posts