Taking out the trash

Another opinionated piece here.

Trash talk.  I believe that I've spoken about this before, but it's a topic that I've been turning over in my head.

The Buffalo Bills, Rex Ryan, and the athletes spent quite a lot of time trash talking the New England Patriots prior to playing them in Buffalo.

The Patriots responded by thoroughly dominating the game, and while the final score would indicate a close game, the reality was the Bills were out of it in the first half.

Afterward several Bills players and Coach Ryan spoke at length about being too hyped up, too undisciplined, and too keyed for the game.

As a coach, I cannot abide trash talk.  My rule of thumb for trash talk is extremely simple:  If you trash talk, I'm in your head.

One of the things that I speak to the athletes with at length is controlling the things we can control.  We can control our effort, attitude, and our preparation.  We cannot control the other programs.  It is a waste of time to trash talk them, to give them bulletin board materials, and to try and engage in mind games.  I personally do not believe that there is a single coach out there in a single sport who is a master of mind games.  I realize there are many excellent coaches who have been associated with this, but I believe any, "advantage" comes from a lack of discipline in the other team.

Focus on what you can control.  Focus on improving your game.  Focusing on what someone else will or won't do does two things.  It allows them to control you, and it takes your focus away from your own abilities.

Comments

Popular Posts