It's that time again

Where have you been?

It's been a busy close to the end of the summer, and things are starting to pick up again.  

Honestly, it's been a busy summer with moving home from Corvallis, finishing grad school, graduation, back to Portland, job hunting - ugh - settling plans, starting a relationship that's been in the works since 2003 - yes, you read that correctly, 12 years - and getting ready to move back to Corvallis.

I'll be back working with the women's rowing program at Oregon State, and I'm thrilled to be back.  It's where I wanted to be as soon as the 2015 season drew to a close last May, and I'm certainly glad to be heading back there.

Logistically this is problematic.  Rent in Corvallis is outrageously expensive, rivaling Portland, Lake Oswego, and some places in and around Seattle.  I kid you not.  A single bedroom apartment at the complex I was at last year is $1000+ per month, and that's without the ever popular granite, laminate, and stainless appliances.  That apartment layout will push $1200+.  

Unbelievable.  Affordable housing in a college town?  Nope.

What is a volunteer coach supposed to do?  

I'm buying a travel trailer.  Rental space in an RV park is under $500 a month, with onsite laundry, showers, etc.  It's not ideal, but it will save me a massive amount of money per month, which will pay off in the short and the long run.  It means that I can work a short term job a couple of days a week and have plenty of money to pay rent, buy food, and cover my bills.  

It's not ideal, but it beats the alternative.  

Things are about to get busy here as well, and I'm looking forward to starting the season again, losing the summer weight, and getting back into the kick.  Our first meeting is next Monday, I have staff training Wednesday, and the pre-season will begin in earnest.  

Comments

Popular Posts