Snap reaction

I may be one of the few people who did not watch the Super Bowl today.  First, I planned to go out.  Then I was invited to a party.

And then I fell asleep till 6.

I woke up in time to see the reaction to the Seahawks attempt on the 1 yard line, and the pass that saved the Patriots season.  I've been clicking around reading the reaction to the call for the pass, rather than handing off the ball to their running back.

Right now the decision to pass the ball is being called, "The worst decision in Super Bowl history."

I disagree.

I've never played football, I've never coached it, but I like the call.  Here's why:

1.  Everyone in the stadium is expecting the ball to be handed off.  Now, the Pats haven't been able to do much against Lynch for the game, but with the title on the line, backed up against the 1, I bet more than anything that they were geared up for that.

2.  Chance of a mishandled hand off.  Yes, there is a chance the snap is bad, but with the game on the line, knowing that the defense is ready for you, and ready to hit you hard, there's the chance you're looking ahead before you get the ball.

3.  Being aggressive.  A couple of years ago when the 49ners were in a similar situation to this against the Ravens, they ran four straight passing plays when the play that got them there was the run.  Here, an incredible catch on a pass is what got Seattle to the goal line.  I like the aggressiveness of the call.

4.  And I've said this already, but it's unorthodox.  The stadium is expecting the run, and suddenly there's a pass.  And really, the replays I've seen make it pretty close to a completion.  Al Pacino would say, "An inch too early or too late."

I like the aggressiveness and the thinking outside the box - assuming that's what the call was to be.  Yes, the game was lost, but the game was lost in a way that I as a coach, can handle.  You're going for the win.  Maybe the running play gets the touch down and all of this is moot.  Or maybe the handoff is fumbled, and we're not talking about it at all.  Either way, I think it's a gutsy call, and I think the thought process is unorthodox, but not flawed.  

Comments

Popular Posts