We have a start

I suppose you can call today the first "official" day for the internship.  I spent a total of five hours in the office today working on three projects.  I'm not a regular yet and so right now my time is limited to single days here and there.  I don't have a problem with this because as much as I enjoy working, I don't enjoy driving, and the trip between Portland and Corvallis is one of my least favorite stretches of I-5. 

This also marks a bit of a change in how this blog will operate for the rest of my internship.  In the previous posts, I've been liberal with the details of what I'm doing on a daily basis because I was running my team, or my own program.  That changes this year with this internship, and as much as I enjoy talking about my day, I will be keeping things closer to the vest out of respect for the program, and the head coach.

 Today was a lot of paperwork.  Prior to working at Willamette, and Lake Oswego to some extent, I wouldn't have given two shakes for paperwork.  I loathed the office setting, the polo and khaki routine, and sitting in front of a computer screen seemed the surest and shortest road to hell.  That has since changed as I've matured as a coach, and learned that there is more to coaching than simply putting the numbers in order and executing a practice.  In fact I would say that 90 to 95 percent of my day is spent working on projects that keep the wheels rolling, and only rarely do I find myself working on practices or training.  Those days or moments get the most attention - I don't believe anyone would want to read a detailed account of a Home Depot and gas trip - but that's the icing. 

As per usual, I was told to show up by 10:30 this morning and I arrived on campus at 9:15.  I would like to say that I was attempting to avoid traffic, and explore Corvallis a bit, but the truth is that I could barely sleep last night and I was more than anxious to get started.  I anticipate that this will only get worse once I complete the move to Corvallis.  As I told the head coach, I am still working on finding a balance between working and everything else life has to offer.  The computer screen and data crunching I knocked when I was young and naive has quickly risen to a level near obsession these days. 

So that's the first day in the bag.  Enjoyable to say the least. 

Comments

Popular Posts