First time out
I got my first taste of working for a big program yesterday when I met with the head coach and got a tour of the on campus facilities. A large sign greeted us as we entered the strength and conditioning center for varsity athletics.
"Approved Apparel."
This means my faithful Adidas will be retired - temporarily - and my new Nikes will be on the rage. Branding. It's good stuff. I was impressed by this sign. I know that some might find it odd, and perhaps going a little far, but I don't see this as the case. I see the university working to forge an identity where you can run into an athlete and know that they are an athlete by what they're wearing.
I personally am not a fan of the random practice gear that athletes wear to workout in, especially when I see them walking in wearing Toms, or those toe shoes. I dislike seeing athletes without proper fitness gear that either hinders them or could possibly get ruined by the equipment. I would much rather have everyone wearing the same thing. It's not a loss of individuality, but a commitment to the culture and identity of the team. This is who we are.
Long story short, I was pleased that I would have to step up my game in what I wear on a daily basis. At the same time, I greatly appreciated the coach understanding the nature of our work, allowing for jeans, or warmups. I'm not into wearing warmups in the office or at practice, but I appreciate the option.
I believe that branding is an important part of who you are as a program, and I like that this coach believes that too.
That being said, I got a quick tour of the office and the strength and conditioning area. I'll get the opportunity to talk with the strength coach, something that was high on my list of things I'd like to do. I also got to meet the men's novice coach and wandered through the sports med offices where athletes see the trainers.
The head coach and I talked about what I like to do the most besides coaching athletes - working on boats - and what, if given some options, I would choose last - errand running - and she promised that I would get experience with both. In general there is very little that I don't find some enjoyment in doing when it comes to working as a coach. I believe that details matter so making a run to Home Depot, and then getting gas for the launches, and then pulling a launch to a repair facility are all errands that I will gladly do. It's what's required. It's being prepared, and being proactive not reactive - something that I dislike. It also allows for practices and the program to be run at peak efficiency, and since inefficiency is my biggest pet peeve, this makes me happy.
The bottom line is that while I don't believe you need to love every aspect of coaching, you need to find some enjoyment out of it, which makes doing the tasks easier. I don't see the point in coaching, or doing anything for that matter, if you're only going to do what makes you happy and leave the rest for someone else to figure out.
So next week I'm heading down to Corvallis to start working. I'm not moving down yet, but that date is drawing closer. This year is going to be a huge challenge, but I'm excited for the opportunities.
"Approved Apparel."
This means my faithful Adidas will be retired - temporarily - and my new Nikes will be on the rage. Branding. It's good stuff. I was impressed by this sign. I know that some might find it odd, and perhaps going a little far, but I don't see this as the case. I see the university working to forge an identity where you can run into an athlete and know that they are an athlete by what they're wearing.
I personally am not a fan of the random practice gear that athletes wear to workout in, especially when I see them walking in wearing Toms, or those toe shoes. I dislike seeing athletes without proper fitness gear that either hinders them or could possibly get ruined by the equipment. I would much rather have everyone wearing the same thing. It's not a loss of individuality, but a commitment to the culture and identity of the team. This is who we are.
Long story short, I was pleased that I would have to step up my game in what I wear on a daily basis. At the same time, I greatly appreciated the coach understanding the nature of our work, allowing for jeans, or warmups. I'm not into wearing warmups in the office or at practice, but I appreciate the option.
I believe that branding is an important part of who you are as a program, and I like that this coach believes that too.
That being said, I got a quick tour of the office and the strength and conditioning area. I'll get the opportunity to talk with the strength coach, something that was high on my list of things I'd like to do. I also got to meet the men's novice coach and wandered through the sports med offices where athletes see the trainers.
The head coach and I talked about what I like to do the most besides coaching athletes - working on boats - and what, if given some options, I would choose last - errand running - and she promised that I would get experience with both. In general there is very little that I don't find some enjoyment in doing when it comes to working as a coach. I believe that details matter so making a run to Home Depot, and then getting gas for the launches, and then pulling a launch to a repair facility are all errands that I will gladly do. It's what's required. It's being prepared, and being proactive not reactive - something that I dislike. It also allows for practices and the program to be run at peak efficiency, and since inefficiency is my biggest pet peeve, this makes me happy.
The bottom line is that while I don't believe you need to love every aspect of coaching, you need to find some enjoyment out of it, which makes doing the tasks easier. I don't see the point in coaching, or doing anything for that matter, if you're only going to do what makes you happy and leave the rest for someone else to figure out.
So next week I'm heading down to Corvallis to start working. I'm not moving down yet, but that date is drawing closer. This year is going to be a huge challenge, but I'm excited for the opportunities.

Comments