So much time
And so little to do.
It's been an odd winter so far, with little to do in the way of "coaching." Typically I'd be working on the spring training plan, or looking back over the fall training schedule, basically staying busy. But not this winter. The only thing I've done other than neatly stack the season folders (2012 & 2013) is read a few "Rowing News" and look back through some of my training notes from my year at UPS. I've also carefully rearranged the books on my headboard so they're easier to access, which I haven't done.
It's been a strange change of pace, leaving well enough alone. I spent a majority of this summer preparing for this year, much more than I usually do, and while I didn't anticipate having such a difficult fall season - something to think about next summer - I'm ready to move into spring. I've got the spring training plan all set up and ready to go, and as funny as this sounds, thanks to last year's rough entry into spring, I have the back up plan ready as well. I am hopeful that this year it won't be needed.
This leaves me with little to do, and a lot of down time in which to do it in. I've managed to stay away from the random busy work that I typically assign myself to do and while I do have some house cleaning jobs that remain, I'm spreading those out in a more leisurely pace. In fact the only thing that's really happened recently involving coaching or rowing have been a couple of odd dreams. I'm either going through withdrawals or simply bored.
I will say that this has been the first relaxing winter break that I've had in a long while with nothing to do. I brought an erg home and have been working out on it, and practicing some technique on it - ok there's my crew involvement - but I've been taking more time to do things that I haven't done in a while like catch up on my sports fix, read a lot more, and spend time with friends. It came off as a huge shock when I hit some of them up for dinner a few days back.
I guess that's the difference between planning ahead, and leaving well enough alone.
It's been an odd winter so far, with little to do in the way of "coaching." Typically I'd be working on the spring training plan, or looking back over the fall training schedule, basically staying busy. But not this winter. The only thing I've done other than neatly stack the season folders (2012 & 2013) is read a few "Rowing News" and look back through some of my training notes from my year at UPS. I've also carefully rearranged the books on my headboard so they're easier to access, which I haven't done.
It's been a strange change of pace, leaving well enough alone. I spent a majority of this summer preparing for this year, much more than I usually do, and while I didn't anticipate having such a difficult fall season - something to think about next summer - I'm ready to move into spring. I've got the spring training plan all set up and ready to go, and as funny as this sounds, thanks to last year's rough entry into spring, I have the back up plan ready as well. I am hopeful that this year it won't be needed.
This leaves me with little to do, and a lot of down time in which to do it in. I've managed to stay away from the random busy work that I typically assign myself to do and while I do have some house cleaning jobs that remain, I'm spreading those out in a more leisurely pace. In fact the only thing that's really happened recently involving coaching or rowing have been a couple of odd dreams. I'm either going through withdrawals or simply bored.
I will say that this has been the first relaxing winter break that I've had in a long while with nothing to do. I brought an erg home and have been working out on it, and practicing some technique on it - ok there's my crew involvement - but I've been taking more time to do things that I haven't done in a while like catch up on my sports fix, read a lot more, and spend time with friends. It came off as a huge shock when I hit some of them up for dinner a few days back.
I guess that's the difference between planning ahead, and leaving well enough alone.

Comments