Happy November

Well loyal readers, it's that time of the year.  Yesterday we moved the fleet from our fall location - the Salem Yacht Club - back to our beloved boat house.  The weather forecast called for sun, and clear skies.  What we got was dark, gray clouds dumping rain.  Never trust a weather report in Oregon between September and June.  Thankfully, being used to Oregon weather forecasts, everyone - most everyone - came prepared, and we managed to only be 30 minutes over our planned practice time.  Salem is one of those cities that seems so tiny and yet when you start to move around it, seems to grow exponentially.

But now we are in the friendly confines of the boat house where things actually stay dry, you can warm up in the warmth of two efficient heaters, and my personal favorite, you don't need to load/unload the coaching launches.  As much fun as it is to transport gas, batteries, Kippy Littles, and all the other items to and fro, I certainly won't miss smelling like gasoline for the entire work day.

This past week we've been closing up shop.  Last Sunday we raced at the Portland Fall Classic, made all the more memorable - unfortunately - by a fatal car/pedestrian accident on the bridge that over looks the launch/recovery dock.  Despite this, the team raced well and we are looking forward to putting in some quality time this winter with training.  Both teams held their winter training meetings, and we handed out the training plans.


I'm happy with training plan that I've put together.  I spent a lot of time looking at last year, and adapting it to what I thought we needed more.  This summer, having sat down and reevaluated last season - something I both love, and hate to do because it makes me realize how many obvious things I completely missed - I made some adjustments and changed fall and winter training to better fit what I felt the team needed and missed last season.

Despite it's imposing look in the picture, those are actually multiple copies of the training plan.  Still, the amount of effort I put into this, and the detail, did make me look back at my senior thesis with some sheepishness, wondering why I could pay this much attention to this, and not that.  Live and learn I suppose.

So with the teams off on their winter training, and I having moved a majority of what I might need back home, thus leaving my desk looking a little barren, the 2012 season officially comes to a close.  107 days of winter between now and the first day of spring 2013. 

Comments

Popular Posts