Welcome 2012
Today was the first meeting of the 2012 spring season. Despite a double booking for the room - intramural basketball - the turnout was quite good and I'm excited to see some new faces as well as many familiar returning.
We didn't make it through winter unscathed which isn't a big surprise. Winter is always a time of serious attrition. However instead of focusing on the negative I'm pleased to see everyone gearing up and getting ready to go. I say this each and every spring and I've meant it every time:
"I wouldn't trade you for anyone chose not to return."
I mean that because rowing is mostly attitude. Being successful is mostly attitude. Choosing to be here and to show up shows your attitude toward me, this sport and most importantly, this team. I'm not knocking those who decided not to return but I am going to say that if the seed of doubt is there, it's going to greatly affect what you do and how much you give. And that's not fair to those who are giving it their all.
I'm very excited to see the fitness levels that were maintained over the long winter break. I know that it was hard haul and that not everyone will have arrived at this point in the same shape but from what I've been told and from the overall attitude that I've seen, I think that the athletes have set themselves up well for the spring.
Which brings me to something that I think about each and every season but rarely ever say.
A big thank you to the returning athletes. The dedication shown, the enthusiasm and all around great attitude this early into the season is a real credit to them and their spirit. We can move mountains with athletes like this and I feel very lucky to have such a fantastic group.
We didn't make it through winter unscathed which isn't a big surprise. Winter is always a time of serious attrition. However instead of focusing on the negative I'm pleased to see everyone gearing up and getting ready to go. I say this each and every spring and I've meant it every time:
"I wouldn't trade you for anyone chose not to return."
I mean that because rowing is mostly attitude. Being successful is mostly attitude. Choosing to be here and to show up shows your attitude toward me, this sport and most importantly, this team. I'm not knocking those who decided not to return but I am going to say that if the seed of doubt is there, it's going to greatly affect what you do and how much you give. And that's not fair to those who are giving it their all.
I'm very excited to see the fitness levels that were maintained over the long winter break. I know that it was hard haul and that not everyone will have arrived at this point in the same shape but from what I've been told and from the overall attitude that I've seen, I think that the athletes have set themselves up well for the spring.
Which brings me to something that I think about each and every season but rarely ever say.
A big thank you to the returning athletes. The dedication shown, the enthusiasm and all around great attitude this early into the season is a real credit to them and their spirit. We can move mountains with athletes like this and I feel very lucky to have such a fantastic group.

Comments